• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting problem

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
MY '99 XJ when starting cold, it refuses to start right away, backfires through the throttle, and then runs very rough for about 30-40 seconds gradually smoothening up.
A minute later she is fine.
Tried pushing ignition wires for better contact, no help.
I checked for stored trouble codes, none. No engine light.
Any ideas?

falcon556 said:
MY '99 XJ when starting cold, it refuses to start right away, backfires through the throttle, and then runs very rough for about 30-40 seconds gradually smoothening up.
A minute later she is fine.
Tried pushing ignition wires for better contact, no help.
I checked for stored trouble codes, none. No engine light.
Any ideas?

Same problem as described in a thread that I just started. Unfortunately the search I performed did not turn yours up first. I have a check engine light on and codes though. I am always on the road, keep the tank over half most of the time, and use about 5 different gas stations regularly. The problem has been persistant for a few months now.

Last edited:
CityRatedXJ said:
Same problem as described in a thread that I just started. Unfortunately the search I performed did not turn yours up first. I have a check engine light on and codes though. I am always on the road, keep the tank over half most of the time, and use about 5 different gas stations regularly. The problem has been persistant for a few months now.

Cross your fingers, a lot of knowledgeable people here, one of them has the answer.

I filled the tank and the problem went away.
I have it in the garage trying to get the cruise control to work, so, I cannot say for sure it is cured from the little that I've driven it lately, still I think that was it.

Back