• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a few questions on cooling system

GDI three core

• worth the cash

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • may help

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • worthless

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy forbes

NAXJA Forum User
i have 2 questions on what to do with my cooling system.
is a gdi worth the money, i can get 1 for 110 bucks
also my second cooling fan wont turn on automaticly, the censor doesnt click on for the temprature(when it gets hot enough) i may just wire the fan through a switch and call it a day, but if a dont have to i won't.
thanks for all the help.
Jimmy

Some here have had trouble with the gdi out of the box requiring an RMA and waiting for a new one to be shipped.Some have had them just drop right in and they are for the most part probably OK, generally you only hear the horror stories vs the good stories. Check out the prices on a Modine unit and not at just one place either. When I was buying them for my S10 and the wifes Chevy I found a big spread on pricing for the same part number, here in PA NAPA was highest at ~$180 and National Auto followed a close second ~$170. Found a mom n pop store that saved me over $50 so I got it for like $125 or so as I remember, it was not a small amount. I figure my XJ will need one in another year or so.

For what it's worth, I haven't had a lick of trouble out of my GDI. It dropped right in and has done what it's upposed to ever since, which has been for about three or four years now.
As for your electric fan, first check that the fan itself is good by jumping power straight to it from the battery. If it runs, then your most likely candidate for trouble maker is the relay that handles the power when the temp switch senses that the fan should come on. You can rule out the temp sensor by turning on the A/C if so eqipped. The aux fan runs whenever the A/C is on regardless of the coolant temp. That relay was located on the passenger side fender well on my 93. I'd have to check the book, but perhaps someone else here recalls which one it is. If I recall correctly, I got a new one for about $6 at the stealership (after the first unit ordered wasn't right, I took it in for comparison and they had the correct, and cheaper one, on the shelf - don't rely on the numbers - take it in for visual comparison).
Good luck.

The GDI is a budget product, probably worth the price you pay. The Modine is a quality product, and worth a little more money. If the electric fan isn't working, replace the tempurature switch.

I have to agree with Goatman on this one. I have two GDI's in storage. The newest has been checked out by a rad shop and wasn't worth rodding as only had a minimal amount of blocked tubes, yet still couldn't keep my XJ cool. I went to a Modine 2-core and it is much better.

Don't be fooled by the "more cores=better cooling" thing. It isn't always the case. IIRC the GDI has three cores of 1/4" tubing, The Modine has two cores of 5/8" tubing. That is .75" vs. 1.25" of tubing. Though you might give up a small amount of efficiency to less surface area with larger tubes, they are less apt to plug up and that will increase the functional life of your rad.

Besides the Modine is a much higher quality rad, the GDI’s were one small step above junk IMHO.

Bones
NAXJA #6

BTW: If you want bling:cool:: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2419601021

i-1.JPG

Bones, where the hell have you been? It's good to hear from you. Been wheeling lately? :)

Goatman, I haven't been on the boards much lately. Don't even hit the computer as much as I used to. Work's been hopping and I just haven't had time. As for wheeling, NO. I have the motor back at the builders. Time for a new cam and bearings. I am having everything checked out since I just don't trust it at this point. So far we have not come up with a reason for the cam bearing failure. I have heard of three other engine failures like mine and all have been running Clevite cam bearings. Don't know if that's the link or just bum luck but this time I went with Durabond bearings. I am also swapping cams for one a bit "Hotter". I hope that the increased duration will decrease my dynamic compression and alleviate my minor low-end ping problem on lower octane fuels. Hope to have the engine back in by the end of the month and then off to Beezil’s for a new front gear set and to drain the Chicago beer stock.

Willis, No problem. I wouldn’t have posted a link if aI was really serious about it. I run a Auto and this one is for a Manual tranny. I’m not sure about the strength of aluminum in the off-road setting or I would have probably already bought one. I hope someone from NAXJA get it though. It would be a hell-of-a setup. As for the Modine rad, the rad shop I went to that checked the GDI got it for me. IIRC it wasn’t a lot more than the GDI had been.

Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back