• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"no bus" messsage on digital odometer, later model XJ (01)

wescam

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know much of anything about electronics.

Today, I started up the XJ and glanced down to see "no bus" on the odo and all the gagues dead.

I pulled into the gas station, was gonna get gas anyways. After restarting it went away.

Upon searching "no bus" I got way to many threads to filter.

I tried "bus" and found some mention of my problem in a thread, but no one answered him, lol.

Anyways. I'm guessing it's a ground wire or maybe a loose plug type connector behind the dash?

Only electronic mods are Sirius Receiver and Pioneer Head unit w/4 3 ways.

I'm going wheeling Sunday, so any troubshooting you smart folks can suggest would help.

Thanks,

Wes

This should probably be in OEM tech. As for a cure, I once read in the oem tech that there was a connection problem in the newer rigs that required cleaning of the contacts on the connector and reassembling. I've had the same thing in my '98 and I just give the dash a firm smack! And everything returns. :) Jeff

I thought it was wierd first time it happened to me. All dials which required computer update would just go flat, and since that was most of them, I couln't even tell how fast I was going :)

It did it one day and that was it. Lucky me! Yup, shoulda been OEM tech ;)

ah, ok, thanks -- didn't think about it, but yeah, should be in OEM since it's a stock dash and all...

I'll search some more. It was kind of a freaky occourance.

hey man, this happens to my 2000 pretty frequently (like once a month or so) i am usually going fast when it happens, highway driving sorta thing...and usually i just give the brakes a tap and walla everything just comes right back..still dont know what it is..but if you find out let me know..i too have looked those threads over and it really doesn't seam like anyone has found a serious answer..just random temporary fixes....Good Luck.
CPL Maier

make sure that the connectors under the dash are not loose (look underneath towards the firewall and you'll see couple big fat plugs.

After searching some manuals, it seems that it's probably just some loose stuff, as everyone else already stated. On the other hand, if you really want to see what it is, you should have a scan tool. One test I read (in Mitchell)even mentioned wiggling the OBD II port with the scanner attached to see if it trips anything.

After searching some manuals, it seems that it's probably just some loose stuff, as everyone else already stated. On the other hand, if you really want to see what it is, you should have a scan tool. One test I read (in Mitchell) even mentioned wiggling the OBD II port with the scanner attached to see if it trips anything.

Back