• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

eaton e-locker? or stick to arb, detriot?

93xj-jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
my xj is soon to be on 33s and with a ford 8.8 rear, dana 30 front. im currently open but when i get my gears installed im definately going to install a locker, maybe both if i can afford it.

my question is for the ford 8.8 how many of you run an eaton e-locker or know much about them? im either thinking about that, or possibly an arb but i dont really want to deal with the issues with the lines and stuff, should be ok if installed right, but nor pay the extra for a compressor, or can i run it off my source c02 tank? the other option i was thinking of was a detriot but it is a DD and i also do drive in the snow once in a while so i didnt know if that would be the best option.

also, i know its been covered before, but before i dump the cash do you think 4.88s are the best choice with 33s? i know it may be a little to many rpms on the highway but as long as its not too bad and hurting anything i would like to have the lower gears for wheeling.

TIA for your comments.

I would try the Eaton if they had one that fit my axles. Take your pick and run with whatevers cheaper. You can the ARB off the CO2 tank.

As for gears if you want the extra gearing go for the 4.88's. I would rather have the highways speed and the gearing is fine for me off-road. Crawl box is next so... I'm running 4.56 with 33x12.5, 89 auto and gas mileage just jumped from 12-13 to 18. I'm happy with it and rpms are veryu close to stock(150 or so over).

Last edited:
I have an ARB in my Ford 8.8 and I like the way it works and have had no problems with it. I really need to get OBA as I have just been running the locker off an air tank. I just havent had the time/money to set up an OBA system the way I want it done. If I was going to do it over again, I would get a LSD/locker like the Electrac. I am not sure if they make one for the F8.8 yet but I would go with that over an ARB if available. I find that with the torque of the stroker and wet streets or leaving tight turns the open diff sucks and I end up spinning the inside tire with out thinking about it.

AARON

i run the eaton. a lot cheaper, and simpler to install than the ARB. wheeled in it twice already. it works flawlessly. it drops right in. the only modifying of the punkin' is a hole drilled for the wires to come out. the wire has a rubber seal on it already just for that. i just used a thick layer of good ol' permatex around the seal. the only possible problem i could see would be if the hole for the wires was drilled about 2" too high the they might catch the ring gear bolts. you have to go 5mph or less to engage, but can disengage at any speed. they have a 1 year warrenty, and you will need the 31 spline (exploder axle) bec the 29 is for stangs'

or you could be the guinea pig, and try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=33728&item=7961337904&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

hope this helps. :)

hmmm....does anybody know much about the auburn gear ected. it looks pretty good and limited slip to full locker would be awesome. $565 is not bad at all either. anybody run this or know much about them?

Back