• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Tuff DS disconnect any thoughts

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
Been back over to Pirates to find links of installs and performance and am thinking of this to be my last big purchase for the MJ before I finish it.

It is a REAR DS disconnect. cold come in real handy for front 2lo only tire burns and assisting in flat towing etc

What are your guys thoughts?
disc3.JPG

pirates board link

appears to be Zuk-only? And $399??? Yikes.

Front burns? Show-off. ;)

Flat towing? That's what neutral is for. Don't have a real neutral? Get a Tera2LO kit. ;) Rear 2LO seems to come in far handier than front 2LO I think. (I have RWD 2LO, and have never felt a need/wish for FWD).

Jeepin Jason said:
appears to be Zuk-only? And $399??? Yikes.

Front burns? Show-off. ;)

Flat towing? That's what neutral is for. Don't have a real neutral? Get a Tera2LO kit. ;) Rear 2LO seems to come in far handier than front 2LO I think. (I have RWD 2LO, and have never felt a need/wish for FWD).

I could have used it on many tight trails in AZ. and have talked to em they can match the flange for most types of vehicles. With the Klune V I can already do rear low (4:1) Alice may do a comp or 2 with this MJ this year

why not use a twinsticked D300?

and if you do this, be sure to get cutting brakes for the rear. that's what the comp guys do to make super tight turns. tight left turn: front wheel drive, lock up left rear tire (cutting brakes), get it!

BrettM said:
why not use a twinsticked D300?

and if you do this, be sure to get cutting brakes for the rear. that's what the comp guys do to make super tight turns. tight left turn: front wheel drive, lock up left rear tire (cutting brakes), get it!

already have cutting brakes from an old buggy...I usderstand how it works, I judge calrocs and other events when I can, Im the old guy on the rock in the funny strawhat

picture.JPG

BrettM said:
okay, so why not a D300?

why not a 300?

its twice the weight of a 231

has higher low 4 gearing than the 231

has weaker output shaft than the 231

my 231 has 242 chain conversion and 4 planitary instead of 2

the 300 with twin stick will cost more and would have to make a longer DS

My existing 20" travel DS sill work without mods with the Disconnect unit

I am using a pre 90 AW4, 21 spline and Klune

The 300 would need a flip kit either self fabricated or bought

the 300 would need a clocking ring and new bolts

I would need to spend around 1000.00 additional $$$$$ to use the 300

the list can go on and on and on and on

xjnation said:
why not a 300?

its twice the weight of a 231 Not quite.

has higher low 4 gearing than the 231 By a little bit yes

has weaker output shaft than the 231 Not a chance!!

my 231 has 242 chain conversion and 4 planitary instead of 2 Umm stock they have 3 planet gears. You cannot put a 242 chain in a 231, ever. You must mean 241.

the 300 with twin stick will cost more and would have to make a longer DS

My existing 20" travel DS sill work without mods with the Disconnect unit

I am using a pre 90 AW4, 21 spline and Klune

The 300 would need a flip kit either self fabricated or bought

the 300 would need a clocking ring and new bolts

I would need to spend around 1000.00 additional $$$$$ to use the 300

the list can go on and on and on and on

Agree with some of what you said but there's some bunk info there too.

xjnation said:
Im the old guy on the rock in the funny strawhat

picture.JPG

I like your 'Fro. (You are the one on the left-hand side.....RIGHT?)

I also like the idea of front wheel drive only as an option....but I'd like to see the price in the $200 range....which I think would be more of a fair price for what you're getting.

Aron

JJacobs said:
Agree with some of what you said but there's some bunk info there too.

1.17 dia shaft stock 231 27 spline

1.125 dia for stock d 300 26 spline

as per my advanced adapter book, the 231 has a larger dia output shaft. the weakest part of the d300 is the output.

gearing 2:62 to 2:72 is asctually a measurable difference

NO I meant the 242, it has 6 planetary gears instead of 3 and is a quick interchange but there are other options too, that are easier and cheaper

chain options from PBB

xjnation said:
1.17 dia shaft stock 231 27 spline

1.125 dia for stock d 300 26 spline

as per my advanced adapter book, the 231 has a larger dia output shaft. the weakest part of the d300 is the output.

gearing 2:62 to 2:72 is asctually a measurable difference

NO I meant the 242, it has 6 planetary gears instead of 3 and is a quick interchange but there are other options too, that are easier and cheaper

chain options from PBB

That link shows info on putting a wider chain and sprockets from a 231C or 231D. Not a 242, a 242 chain is quite a bit longer and will not fit. A Hummer H1 242 may have 6 planet gears, but no other 242 I've ever torn down did. They all have 3. The 241 has the 6 planet setup.

Looks like you have some more reading up to do...

JJacobs said:
That link shows info on putting a wider chain and sprockets from a 231C or 231D. Not a 242, a 242 chain is quite a bit longer and will not fit. A Hummer H1 242 may have 6 planet gears, but no other 242 I've ever torn down did. They all have 3. The 241 has the 6 planet setup.

Looks like you have some more reading up to do...

the tag on teh case I used said 242, pick up at local bone yard. took apart there made measure ments then bought and used the parts.

You are right about it though It must have been mis tagged. must be a 241 lookin at the cahin size app charts.....it also says the 207 used the same chain as the 231HD...interesting...same length too....HMMMMM

I guess I owe ya a lil rep back :kissyou:

xjnation said:
Well it been used for the last 2 seasons on many of therock crawing circuits without any failures. cant say that about 300 outputs though.
but behind what drivetrains? Zuks with 20:1 gearing in front of it is very different than a 4.0 with 30:1 gearing in front of it.

I guess it just looks weak to me, but that also isn't a very revealing picture... If it's holding up to bigger motors and gearing the go for it! how's your front axle gonna like front digs? :D

BrettM said:
but behind what drivetrains? Zuks with 20:1 gearing in front of it is very different than a 4.0 with 30:1 gearing in front of it.

I guess it just looks weak to me, but that also isn't a very revealing picture... If it's holding up to bigger motors and gearing the go for it! how's your front axle gonna like front digs? :D

hp dana 44, 4.56 waggy molly axles (on order) full detroit should be ok

Back