• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trouble code help

92xj

NAXJA Forum User
been having some problems lately so i ran the codes. 5 came up and there are two that i dont really know what they are. The first is number 41 which is generator field not switching properly. anybody have any ideas on that? and the second one is number 55 and guess what there is no number 55 in my jeep book. i ran the codes twice and got the same numbers. any body know what 55 could be? by the way 4.0l 6cly motor. somebody please let me know, thanks
Ben

55 is the end of cycle code. You will get it no matter what. Just means the end of codes. So if your thinking it something BIG, its really NOTHING.

Code 41--"Alternator field not switching properly," according to Mitchell online. It then lists the "Fault Condition" as "an open or shorted condition detected in alternator (generator) field circuit." It has a method of testing, but it involves using a voltmeter. If you need this, just post again and I'll see it later tonight at home and post it.

I had a code 41 also about 2 months ago. I upgraded my cables using 2/0 and 1/0 welding cable. Done the upgrade, can't remember where the write up was. I'll look for it. Anyway, i ended up getting a new alternator. That solved the problem.

Back