• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shocks for 2" BB

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I got 2" BB right now I'm using stock shocks which are definetely not long enough. I tried looking for shocks for a 2" lift but came up with nothing. Does anyone make any or should I go with a set for a 3" lift? Or are there shocks for another stock application that would work out? part numbers?

thanks
Dean

Are you disco'd up front? If not, you should be fine with the stockers in front. In the rear, if you have the resources, re-locate your shock mounts higher on the axle housing. You'll probably want to do this someday anyway, and then you don't have to get new shocks for a while. That is if you're happy with the way they ride now. I run ProComp ES3000's all around. They make 2" lift shocks and 3" lift shocks, but they are a bit stiff for the xj. I would have done the stuff above, but mine were shot and I decided to go with some good ones. The ProComp's are awesome on the trail though, so I would recommend them if you only drive moderate street. My XJ is a DD, so I'm slighty unhappy about the pothole impacts.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought about relocating the shock mounts but decided I'd rather get new ones since they are 5 years old right now and getting a little rough. The front isn't a problem, I'm not disco'd yet so they are fine. The rears are the problem. Thanks for the info, I'll check out those sights.

Dean

Rancho calls for the same shock for stock height through 3" of lift. I have spoken with the engineers at Monroe (Rancho) and they confirmed that is not a mistake. Yes, it reduces droop, but the alternative is that most people with budget boosts don't extend the bump stops, so when the suspension tries to fully compress the shocks bottom out before the suspension hits the stops, and the shocks get destroyed.

If you go to longer shocks, be sure to cycle your suspension and extend the bump stops far enough to prevent this.

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I thought I heard once that stock BroncoII shocks work for 2" lift. I have never looked or checked on this.

Eagle said:
Rancho calls for the same shock for stock height through 3" of lift. <snip> most people with budget boosts don't extend the bump stops, so when the suspension tries to fully compress the shocks bottom out before the suspension hits the stops, and the shocks get destroyed.

If you go to longer shocks, be sure to cycle your suspension and extend the bump stops far enough to prevent this.

I've a 2" BB on mine and I've not had any problems and get really nice flex. I've not adjusted my bumpstops nor have I bottomed out the shocks. Currently I'm running Monroe sensa-track in the front and Ranchos in the back. Both of those were made to run stock to 2" of lift. My XJ is a '99 with a 8 1/4 axle in the back. I've not installed BPE's. No sway-bar in the back and disconnects in the front.

Sparkman said:
This has me wondering, are brake lines going to be a problem if the shocks allow more droop?
Yes

See the thread about YJ brake lines.

Back