• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator wont come out

tweeve

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Im new to the forum, So this last weekend I went wheeling with my 95 XJ and killed my alternator. I got a new one and a new battery, I got the old alternator disconected but the stupid thing wont come out of the engine bay. It gets hung up no matter what way I seem to try to take it out.

Any help Im compleatly lost.

I changed mine two days ago.

I had to pry it loose - it was really tight in there. After i got it loose, i rotated it like 20-30 degree's, slid it forward past the lower alternator mount, rotated it like 30 degree's back the original direction, back past the mount, and it slid down and out.

It took me 2-3 tries to figure out what position it had to be in.

-cal

I had a simular problem. It took me 5 minutes or so to figure it out, but it required rotating it to a different angle before trying to take it down, and rotating it again while taking it down. If you were local to SoCal, I'd offer to come give you a hand with it, but washington is a bit out of my normal field of travel. :)

-Cal

I just removed the 2 bolts that held the altenator on then removed the batery and tray and pulled it up.

check you motor mounts
Sounds stpid but i had to pull the bracket with the alt until replaced the motor mount, it pushes the motor up enough that the alt will come out without pulling the bracket.

Dingo

robz95xj said:
I just removed the 2 bolts that held the altenator on then removed the batery and tray and pulled it up.

Same here.

Back