• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5 - shock question - anyone get this working yet?

gordynor

NAXJA Forum User
I have the RE 5.5 on my 01 XJ. I've cut off the old shock mounts and welded on the low profile set from JKS. Does anyone else have this setup?

If so, what I need to know is what length shock you ran with (comp & ext measurements). I currently have the Edelbrock Xtreme Travel IAS w/o the res that are rated for a 3" - 4" lift. I was told the measurements are 14.8/24.5 but I doubt it. I've measred and I don't know how they come up with those figures.

Anyway, If you have the RE 5.5 w new mounts, I'd love to know what you're running because I'm having trouble finding the right length shock at the moment.

I'm running the RE 5.5" coils. I'm not sure what mounts you are referring to <link please?> but I needed a shock 31" on extension and 18" on compression <thereabouts, judging from memory> using my own shock mounts <1/4" 2X2 angle welded in place on the axle as a BPE, with a BPE made for the upper stud mount>.

Of course, you may be running more tire than I am <33">, or running a different setup for bumpstops <hockey pucks in the bucket on mine>

BTW- I'm running Rancho 99012s from a 99-03 F250 with 4" lift, rear axle, as I recall.

This is what happens when you post at 1am.. you forget to add the relevant details. :)

My issue is with the REAR axel and shocks, not the front (as much). I replaced the shock mounts in the rear and I'm trying to find out if anyone can suggest a shock length from experience.

The mounts are here: http://www.jksmfg.com/fab_parts.htm (Rear shock mount in the 5th row of the table)

burntkat said:
I'm running the RE 5.5" coils. I'm not sure what mounts you are referring to <link please?> but I needed a shock 31" on extension and 18" on compression <thereabouts, judging from memory> using my own shock mounts <1/4" 2X2 angle welded in place on the axle as a BPE, with a BPE made for the upper stud mount>.

Thanks for the info! So, your front mounting was eye-to-eye? Would you guess the e2e BPE to be similar in length to the ones from JKS (add 1.4" to the shock)?

I'm kinda in the same boat. Running the RE 5.5" lift and I'm GOING to be putting on those raise JKS mounts. Right now I'm still running the stock mounts and the shocks that RE sent with the lift (DT3333 rear, 15.5"/26.5"). The shocks that are going in the back are a set of 8" travel Bilstein 5150's. Collapsed length is 14.2", extended is 22.5".

I'm also running extended Daystar poly bumpstops and DPG adjustable bumpstop plates. The bumpstop plates are setup so that they keep the springs from inverting. Right now I use about 4" of uptravel in the shocks in the stock position (4.5"+ on the passenger side if you take into account my axle wrap, haha!).

With the 4* shims I've got, there's about 2" in height difference btwn the left and right stock mounts. I flexed up and took these measurements:

compressed rear, passenger side: 16"
droop rear, driver side: ~24" (shock wasn't fully extended though, even though the tire had pulled off the ground)

The JKS mounts raise the shocks about 2" from stock, so 16" - 2" is 14" compressed. But, my mounts are rotated from the 4* shims (assuming right side is 1" taller and left side is 1" lower than stock), so I could probably run about a 14.5-15" compressed shock and still be OK.

Assuming the JKS mount on the driver side will be about 3" higher than the current setup, that makes for an extended shock length of around 21-22" at full droop, which still fits within the lengths of the 5150's I bought.

As I said though, I haven't done the new rear mounts yet, so I can't exactly talk from experience on it yet, just what I'm planning to do based on the measurements I took on my rig.

Oh, and my rear upper shock mounts are JKS BPE's, all the measurements were eye to eye on the shocks so that the added 1/2" or so of length from the BPE's wouldn't factor into anything.

Jason, don't forget that the new mounts are welded on at whatever angle you decide on. If 4* is just right for you, weld those new mounts on level with the ground. So now you have that inch back. :)

I'm also running the DPG XJ bumpstop plate with 3 spacers (thanks to your writeup on them) and I'll be lowering the stock bumpstop with a 1" tube as a spacer. I have the JKS BPE's on top of the rear shocks as well.

I think that the shocks I have now are actually just about right for my setup, but I'm having a hard time making sure. When I let the suspension hang (while on stands) the shocks extend about 2" further than the axel. I have about 4.5" of uptravel right now and I'm trying to get the bumpstops to match so i don't ruin the shocks (it may be too late).

How do you like the 5150's?

Oh, yeah, I know I can put the new mounts on at the correct angle -- that's one of the reasons I'm raising them. ;) The reason I put that info in my post was because the rotation of the axle currently causes about a 2" different in height in the stock mounts, so the "working" compressed and extended lengths of my shocks won't be the same left to right (passenger side will measure shorter, driver side longer). Since my length measurements were based on the stock mounts and current shocks, I've got to take those differences into account. I guess I could've just flexed up in both directions to measure the compressed and extended lengths on the same side, it was just easier to do it once and take measurements on both sides. ;)

My report on the 5150's: http://jeepin.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=009475

based on how my rig works with essentially the same setup, those shocks should work. Might be a tad long though, so you might need to add an extra spacer on top of the bumpstop plates (I'm only running 2 spacers per side on mine, might add the 3rd ones once I get the new rear shocks done, just in case). If you're running those shocks with barpins that would help on the length, vs using BPE's.

Not to get off the topic,but I'll be installing the same shock mounts....should wait until after my lift or do it while I still have the axle out. Since I'm not sure what degree shims I'll need would it be smarter to wait to put them on? I'm currently running a 3.5 in RE lidt...going up to a 6 in. Skyjacker/RE lift...if this is relevant....

AZ DESERT RAT said:
Not to get off the topic,but I'll be installing the same shock mounts....should wait until after my lift or do it while I still have the axle out. Since I'm not sure what degree shims I'll need would it be smarter to wait to put them on? I'm currently running a 3.5 in RE lidt...going up to a 6 in. Skyjacker/RE lift...if this is relevant....

Definintely wait on the shock mounts... do them last. The reason I say that is because I think I've screwed mine up by not having my suspension tuned (read: bumpstops) before I welded them on. You really lose a lot of compression room when you change these mounts out. Get everything else in place first, then measure 50 million times, and then do the mounts.

Or you can change the mounts first and ruin a new set of $100 shocks like I did. Your choice. :)

gordynor said:
Thanks for the info! So, your front mounting was eye-to-eye? Would you guess the e2e BPE to be similar in length to the ones from JKS (add 1.4" to the shock)?

couldn't comment either way-- I made my own.

Regarding the other spring question- my shocks aren't mounted in stock locations, so I'm no help there either. I see Jason posted though, so just do what he did ;)

i have the re 5.5XD lift and i plan on running the RE twin tubes that were included with my lift in the rear with raised shock mounts. Based on my measurements my twin tubes are 15.5 compressed and 26.5 extended, right now they are way to short on the factory mounts with a 4* shim, so once moved to the axle tubes they should sit at static height with approx 4" of uptravel.

just my .02
lincoln

Way too short? How's that? You must be sitting taller than me, because the DT3333's are the same length, and they're the perfect length for my RE 5.5" kit. For some reason I'm not even using all the length either. Do you have any pics of your rig? Just for comparison on height, etc. At static height I've got about 5" or so of available uptravel in my shocks, my driver side shock anyway...

Here's how mine sits:
100_0289.jpg

And here's the rear at full flex, and like I said, I'll lift that left rear tire before the shock tops out, so I'm not sure what's the deal there (might have the leaf spring bolts too tight):
DSC02776.jpg

Jason,

I know i thought the same thing, my rig turned out huge! i try to snap a pic tonight for ya. but with the 4* shims my drivers side shock has approx 1-1.5" of down travel. maybe my lift hasn't settled yet, i don't know. i drove it this weekend and wheeled it pretty hard flexing the springs with no bumpstops in the rear and its sitting at the same height.

lincoln

Wow, yeah, you must be sitting at like 8" of lift in the rear then. Mine's settled down about an inch since I first installed it, and I'm currently sitting right around an actual 5.5" over a stock '01 XJ (last I measured anyway). I don't know how your rig is setup, but mine's packed on a lot of pounds btwn the bumpers, winch, rocker guards, safari rack, skid plates and spare tire. I think I pick up a 1/2" of lift just from leaving the spare off the back! lol!

Jason,

i think thats it i don't have anything on my rig yet as far as steel bumpers/winch skids, etc...spent all my money on the lift...haha!!! your right though its more like an RE 8" XD lift. I'm running 34x10.5 LTBs with a good amount of trimming done so that makes it look bigger too. i've got to get a pic up of it, i love it it turned out very nice.
also im going to switch shocks in the front to the YJ twin tubes that are 32" extended cause my fronts are too short too.
does anybody else 5.5 lifted XJ lean to the right(pass. side)?

i've only had the lift on for one week and wheeled it for the first time this past weekend so i guess thats it, i hope it doesn't sag too much as i like it at that height, what is "torque jacking?" im not familar with that??

any particular reason why it leans to the right?

thanks
lincoln

torque from the engine "twists" the vehicle/suspension to the right because of the direction of rotation of the driveline. That's the reason why, if you watch drag races, you'll see a lot of cars lift the front left tire on take-off. From a stand still, especially on a slight incline, I can make the front left corner of my body lift about 2" when I hit the gas (or I could before the 5150's anyway). The coil-sprung TJ's are even more succeptible (sp?) to it, and some mfg's are actually making left and right specific springs for the back end to help counter the effects.

Shouldn't be leaning so quickly though. You might have just compressed the leaf really good on that side, and it's "breaking in" quicker or something?? Dunno... I'd just keep an eye on it.

Jeepin Jason said:
torque from the engine "twists" the vehicle/suspension to the right because of the direction of rotation of the driveline. That's the reason why, if you watch drag races, you'll see a lot of cars lift the front left tire on take-off. From a stand still, especially on a slight incline, I can make the front left corner of my body lift about 2" when I hit the gas (or I could before the 5150's anyway). The coil-sprung TJ's are even more succeptible (sp?) to it, and some mfg's are actually making left and right specific springs for the back end to help counter the effects.

Shouldn't be leaning so quickly though. You might have just compressed the leaf really good on that side, and it's "breaking in" quicker or something?? Dunno... I'd just keep an eye on it.

it was leaning when i backed it out of the garage before ever wheeling it, i think i may add a 3/4" spacer to that side if it continues to lean. how does yours drive with the 5.5" lift on the road? mines decent, just likes to wonder all over the road. thanks for all the help.

lincoln

Back