• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper control arm bushing...

WobblesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Where can I get the one that's on the axle side? Is the dealer the only place for that bushing? I searched and found that quadratec has a whole control arm for pretty cheap but that doesn't solve the axle side bushing. Any help would be appreciated.

Do any of you guys know if the same bushing is used in the control arm as well as in the axle side? Seems that's what RE is showing, I want to avoid tearing it apart until I have the bushings. Thanks again for your help.

Get 'em at NAPA - I think I paid $8 (or so) for 2 of them. They are the same for both sides. Might as well replace both for that little $.

93JXJ said:
Get 'em at NAPA - I think I paid $8 (or so) for 2 of them. They are the same for both sides. Might as well replace both for that little $.

Yeah I'm going to replace them both. Thanks, I'll stop by Napa and see what they can get.

Doesn't take too long, on the long side an hour(?).
Socket (or impact), wrench, regular hammer and pry bar (or similar to get them out), rubber hammer and grease to get them in.

Rescue xj said:
Id like to replace all of my control arm bushings. How long does it take? Any special considerations?

I wouldn't replace all the control arm bushings, too much work. Trying to get the old bushings out of the body end of those stamped steel arms will result in F'ed up arms (both the Jeep's and yours). Instead, when I swapped out my D30 I ordered new upper contol arms (the body end already has the bushings installed) for $12.00 each from either quardatec or 4 wheel drive wharehouse.

The axle end bushings will have to be ordered and replaced separatey. I used a torch to get the rubber and center sleeve out and then a punch and hammer to remove the outer sleeves.

Installation can be done with the right size socket(s) and a bid C-clamp or ball jopint press if you have one.

My lowers aren't stock so I can't tell you about them , but IIRC they were pretty cheap too.

Price some new arms online, you may find it worth a couple bucks to take the "easy" way.

HTH

poly control arm bushings

I replaced the old rubber bushings on both upper and lower control arms with polyurethane bushings on my 1990. It made the front end slightly tighter, but nothing like replacing tie rod ends and ball joints. I DO NOT like the harshness- I run Bilstein shocks, which are slightly stiff on small cracks and irregularities but great on larger stuff- the result is a lot of sharp movement transferred to passengers. On the other jeep, if needed, I will go back to rubber. An advantage of poly is that you leave the metal sleeves in the arms. By heating the rubber and sleeves, the old rubber will slide out (hit it with a rod/hammer combination). This makes a lot of smoke and bad smell. Then the poly, after spending the night in the freezer and lubing with the silicone goop, taps in nicely.

Back