• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

balljoint question

TheManch

NAXJA Forum User
I have successfully removed my upper and lower balljoints on my newly aquired 88 mj. The new lower ball joint pressed in nicely but the top doesn't want to cooperate. I rented the press and have a few sleeves and some donut looking things, in addition to all my tools so i am pretty well equipped. Anyway my problem is that with the press and whatever else i can jury rig so set the ball joint into place it doesn't want to go in straight. The top ring on the ball joint that acts as the stopper when you press it in just doesn't want to get parallel with the yoke on the end of the axle. Anyone have any tips, comments, questions or ideas?

Mike

You need to have a tapered adapter due to the taper of the casting on inner c. Without it, the ball joint will want to tip and then binds in the hole. I have used various things to shim a standard press to make it work, but the tapered adapter is the way to go.

I had the same problem. You need that adaperter cup, I think it's unique for Jeeps. I bought a suplamental adapter kit for the ball joint press that I got at NAPA.

I just finished installing ball joints about 30 minutes ago. Had the same situation as you. Im sure I could have made something work, but I figured I wouldnt take a chance on messing up the axle...or the new ball joints. I got the tapered adapter kit mentioned and it made things much easier. Only took a few minutes. If you go on www.madxj.com and scroll down through the tech section, there is a write up on installing offset ball joints. He has the part numbers as well as pictures of the taper kit so you can see what it consists of. Might help you in making something work. They are kind of expensive to get... I got mine through work, so Ill probably just "store use" them or something :) Good luck.

Justin

Back