• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubi 4.10 gears???

TUFFXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can a Rubi D44 4.10 R&P be used in the 3.93 and lower carrior of a standard d44 or is there something diffrent from them verses the other "thick" gears used for the lower carrior????

TIA

Last edited:
Zipdrive007 said:
Can a Rubi D44 4.10 R&P be used in the 3.93 and lower carrior of a standard d44 or is there something diffrent from them verses the other "thick" gears used for the lower carrior????

TIA

Anyone?

This board cracks me up sometimes. As a real question and I get nothing but If I asked what size tires I can run with my 1/2" lift I would get hammered with people getting upset that I didn't search.

no they cannot. Rubi gears are a different demon that can only mount up to the Rubi air locker.

no they will not work.....

I ran across something quite awhile back(think it was Randy's R&P) that the ring gear bolts were even a different size.

They will work. The ring gear bolts are a different size but they are larger. If you will drill your diff case for the larger diameter they will bolt right on. In that same line of thinking the Dana 44's in the rear of Isuzu Rodeo's has the "thick" ring gear sets as well and is a direct bolt in for a 3.92 and down diff case. They come in 4.10, 4.30, and on the very rare 4cyl ones 4.56. The ring gear from these has standard bolt sizes and requires no modifications.

czidesigns said:
They will work. The ring gear bolts are a different size but they are larger. If you will drill your diff case for the larger diameter they will bolt right on. In that same line of thinking the Dana 44's in the rear of Isuzu Rodeo's has the "thick" ring gear sets as well and is a direct bolt in for a 3.92 and down diff case. They come in 4.10, 4.30, and on the very rare 4cyl ones 4.56. The ring gear from these has standard bolt sizes and requires no modifications.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was wanting to know

czidesigns said:
well i have rubi gears in my 44 with a trac lock, i dont believe the guy who installed them had to do any sort of drilling to get them to work but i could be wrong, either way they will work

BRPL XJ said:
well i have rubi gears in my 44 with a trac lock, i dont believe the guy who installed them had to do any sort of drilling to get them to work but i could be wrong, either way they will work

The reply I got back from a vender was that the Rubi gears are the same but that they come with "spacers" and use diffrent ring gear bolts that are 3/8 (I guess thats bigger than normal??) this would lead to the "drilling" but drilling the carrior doesn't sound right since that means you would have to drill every hole I guess. So that leads to other questions. Would you now have to order a Rubi Master kit since that is were you get your ring bolts and they are 3/8 instead of the "normal" size?? This all started because I saw a couple sets of Rubi 4.10s on Ebay with less that a 1000 miles on them and since I am going to be regearing to 4.10s an useing the "thick" set so I can keep my Trash loc I was trying to save a little $$$ on the gears, the d30 carrior and gears are being pulled from a 2.8 XJ with 4.10s so I was hopeing to regear a d30/d44 for under 300 bucks doing it myself...oh well

My guess is that you asked the vendor about aftermarket gears for a Rubi diff case. Some of those are actually thick gears made for the 3.92 and down diff case,and they will come with spacers to make up the difference between the normal ring gear bolts and the larger holes in the Rubi diff case. You wouldn't need the aftermarket spacers but you are correct that you will have to drill all the holes in your carrier and use Rubi ring gear bolts. It might be possible to do something like helicoil in the ring gear then use standard bolts instead of drilling. My preference would sure be to drill the diff case.

Back