• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Specs for stock 2000 XJ

Mattyboy

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 2000 Cherokee with the intent of building it into a very capable off-road rig. I've been a lurker on this site for some time now, and it's helped me immensely in making my decision of what kind of Jeep to buy. This is my first real post on this forum, and I'm simply trying to find out what the specs of my stock Jeep are. (Hopefully, I won't get flamed for asking a question that's been asked a thousand times before!) I know the general stuff, but I want to have more in-depth knowledge.

Vehicle: 2000 Cherokee Limited, 4-door, 4x4
Engine: 4.0L fuel injected I-6 ... is there an alpha-numeric designation for this engine? Is it "L6?"
Transmission: 4-speed automatic. What is the alpha-numeric for this trans? Is it "N231?" Also, what are the gear ratios?
Transfer case: I don't which t-case I have, except that it has full- and part-time 4WD high, and part-time 4WD low. What's the alpha-numeric? What's the low ratio? (4.0:1?)
Axles: Again, no idea. Do I have Dana 35s? I'm pretty sure I have 3.55 gears, but I'm not certain. How can I find out? How do you visually identify different axles?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future. Hopefully, soon, I'll be able to start helping out other new members by answering some myself!

Email DC at: [email protected]

Provide them with your vin# and ask for the factory build sheet. They will reply in about 2 to 3 days and will provide you with everything that your Jeep came with from the factroy. From gear ratio to alternator.

Trans AW-4
T-case Np242
frt axle Dana 30 low pinion
for your rear axle do you have abs? If so you got the Dana 35 If not look an the center cection and if the bottom is flat you got the crysler 8.25 if not then its the D35

And get a Factory Service Manual (FSM) The only book you will ever need.
INfo for books is in your operator manual in the glove box.

DaffyXJ said:
And get a Factory Service Manual (FSM) The only book you will ever need.
INfo for books is in your operator manual in the glove box.
Also www.techauthority.com - you can get the FSM in paper or CD form. If CD, you can print out only what's needed to get the job done although I strongly recommend making an archive copy to prevent destroying your only CD...

Thanks so much for all your responses! I found that Tech Authority site shortly after starting this thread. I'll be ordering the tech manual this evening.

Drake, I just sent an e-mail to DC requesting the build sheet. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

Thanks again! :)

Mattyboy said:
Vehicle: 2000 Cherokee Limited, 4-door, 4x4
Engine: 4.0L fuel injected I-6 ... is there an alpha-numeric designation for this engine? Is it "L6?" No. I-6
Transmission: 4-speed automatic. What is the alpha-numeric for this trans? Is it "N231?" No. AW-4
Also, what are the gear ratios? Dunno. I drive 5-speeds
Transfer case: I don't which t-case I have, except that it has full- and part-time 4WD high, and part-time 4WD low. What's the alpha-numeric? NP242 (NVG242)
What's the low ratio? (4.0:1?) 2.72:1
Axles: Again, no idea. Do I have Dana 35s? I'm pretty sure I have 3.55 gears, but I'm not certain. How can I find out? How do you visually identify different axles? If you have ABS it's a Dana 35. If you don't have ABS, it's a Chrysler 8.25 with 29 splines.

Back