• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Wiper Delay not working

mistertwister68

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2000 XJ, traded in my '94 XJ Country. Anyway my rear wiper is not working properly. When I press down the rocker switch I can get it to spray and work, but when I just have it on the wiper does not move at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am a noobie here, not to Jeeps just here ;p

Just trying to get this looked at again.. Anyone ever have any trouble with this? It works fine with the mister, the wiper that is. But when I put it on delay it does not move at all. Sound like the rocker switch?

Thanks again!

mistertwister68 said:
I know there are 2 relays in this switch, but is there anything else it could be?

Not really... Check that the wiring has continuity in all switch positions, as well as from the switch back to the wiper motor. While you've got the switch out, clean the wiring contacts - lots of times, mystery electrical problems can be solved by removing any oxidation.

I had a similiar problem with my 97 switch then one day I went to spray and wipe the rear window and the switch started working again, (sort of) it now wouldn't shut off. The wiper stayed stuck on intermittant. I drove it the rest of the day like that until I got a chance to remove the switch completely.
Got a new switch and now I'm back to normal. :sunshine:

i read of cable-problems in this forum. can't find it now.
the guy told that his cable was broken in a 98 XJ. but i think the oxidation problem is more common .... :wave:

I'm having the same exact problem. I've been looking for a replacement switch and haven't had the time to pull the switch out. (just got the XJ a couple weeks ago). Could this be the culprit or a waste of time? Is there a separate Intermittent controller that could be bad, or would the washer working negate this possibility? Any ideas out there?

Anyone have any ideas where I can get a replacement switch other than a junkyard? I'd like a new one if possible.

2001 XJ

Last edited:
Those switches are known to be flaky. I just replaced mine.

I have the same exact problem on my 98' XJ. I replaced the switch and entire rear wiper motor assemblies, and no difference. I visually checked the wiring but could see no breaks. Someone out there has to know what is up with this problem. If anyone needs a new rear wiper motor assembly, let me know.. I now have an extra.

P.S. For those lucky enough to just need a rear wiper switch, they are available at www.jeepsareus.com

OK I just got a new switch from the local Jeep dealership, installed it, and everything is working great now.

Here's a tip: On my broken switch, when you went from the intermittent "on" mode, it would not make a click again when you pressed it down into wash mode. It would depress and work but would not click from on to wash. The new wiper switch does click when going from the on mode to the wash mode.

If yours does not click then it's probably just a broken switch. ~$18 from the dealership down the street. Hope you have as much luck as myself.

now if I could just get the stupid driver's side seat heater working I'd be all set.

Back