• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not another locker thread

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
Ok, i see that there are so many lockers out there.
Some people say to get this one.....when others on other threads say to get this other one.

SO...im going to start my own.

I have a 93 with d30 in front and c8.25(27spline) in back.
I really want to get something that’s good for on-road (its a DD),
so i Don’t want something that will spin a tire around terns,
and i don’t it want it to make much noise around the terns (quiet enough that people riding along with me will not think there’s something broken)

let just say for now that money is not a problem (i want to do right, and only once!!!!)

also……….i have RE 4.5 lift if anyone needs to know

Well, sounds like you want "stock" road manners but you still want the benefits of a locker... And since you say you really want to do it right, then you are looking at a selectable locker. Currently, the best options for selectable lockers are....

-ARB
-OX
-Detroit Electrac

Now.... go research those lockers and find the one that best suits your needs. :wierd:

-jm

Those were what i was thinking.
But haveing the axles i have now, im thinking im going to be kicking my ass down the road for spending all that money

I was thinking that i should just get one of them locked.........but which one?

if you have an auto tranny the on-road mannerisms of an auto locker (lockright, no-slip, aussie, detroit,etc) is not bad at all.

it is more effective to lock the rear first because most of the weight gets transferred to the rear going uphill when you need the locker most. however I wouldn't spend any money on a 27 spline axle, either get a D44 or upgrade your 8.25 to 29 spline.

C85D4x4 said:
Yea, i have seen those too. But if i was going to get one of them, should i get it for the front or rear?

As brett said, get it for the rear. BUT, he also has a valid point about throwing money at a 27 spline axle.

I realize this is a very simple question... but simple questions often have complicated answers. You said you wanted to do it right didn't you? Then MY opinion of doing it right would consist of a new rear axle and a selectable locker.

-jm

Sorry, i dont know how i didnt see what brett said

Yea, i know what ur saying about doing it right
But getting a new axle in is more money than i plan on spending right now

C85D4x4 said:
Sorry, i dont know how i didnt see what brett said

Yea, i know what ur saying about doing it right
But getting a new axle in is more money than i plan on spending right now
I'd agree with Brett about swapping out the 27 spline. I wouldn't spend money on it either.

You don't have to get a whole new rear axle, you can just upgrade to 29 spline axles, which should be a bit less. Normally they'd need a new carrier, but if you get a locker that replaces the carrier, just get one for a 29 spline and put in the new shafts at the same time. That should be fine for up to 33's and maybe a little larger tires as long as you don't go out and kill the thing.... :laugh3:

I just priced gears and ARBs for my '96 in the Phx, AZ area and asked about upgrading to 29 spline axles. Basically about $120 per side, and like "nhrocker" mentioned, the carrier gets replaced with a locker like that, so one should do it all at once. (Guess you couldnt do it any other way!)

keep in mind that if you wanted to stay with a LB locker and upgrade to 29 spline then you would still need a new carrier. or you have to have your 27 spline carrier turned on a lathe to open up the bearing journals.

if i was starting over and NOT going to run tires larger than 33" i would have swaped in a 29 slpine 8.25 rear end and locked it and the d30...

as you have the 27 spline - id say lock the front -
if you are going to swap an axle - its going to be the rear... front axle swaps are for bigger tires...

if i had locked the front - i would have stuck with 33" tires as an end goal, and probably saved a ton o cash...

Ok..........

I feel like a dumb ass for asking this....................but.......

What exactly is the "carrier"
Yes, i don’t know much about axles

A pic would be nice

a carrier is what the ring gear mounts too. also known as a case. it carries the ring gear, spider gears, and side gears.

If money is an issue right now I would just buy a lunchbox, like a lock-rite or aussie. Its only around $250 and when you do swap out your rear axle you can sell the locker to someone and the shafts as spares. I ran a no-slip in my 8.25 with 31's and had no problems with it.

lets see:

here is a pic of a Ford 8.8 with a limited slip carrier...

this one has 4.11 gears and is out of Ben's YJ

but these are the standard parts that a diff has....

2ma72b

more pics of the inside of the 8.8 here
Ben was replacing his axle seal...

The axle shafts slide into thoes spider gears on the sides. The spider gears are splind to match the shafts - so when going from 27 spline to 29 spline - you need at least new spider gears - but most times spider gears get worn into their carriers (and i dont know if they are the same size)

With a C-Clip rear end (like the chrysler 8.25, D35, and Ford 8.8 pictured above) - the axle shaft is retained by a c-clip that slides onto the end of the axle shaft and fits in a goove in the side spider gear. Then the center pin pushes the axle shaft out and keeps the c-clip flush with the groove in the side spider gear...

make sense?

cool
-Ranger

I seeing alot of diff. auto lockers brands....

Dose anyone recomend one over another?
Which one(s) should i stay away from?
Which one is the best Bang for buck?

THANKS XJ_ranger and everyone

Back