• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New tech filled mod!!!

Which gauge setup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well sorta :wierd:

This is a update post plus a question for those that have had more experience with this.

Update: I began this "cage" last september. Got enough done to wheel, and drove to Moab for the NAXJA event. I got home and well, it sat, and sat and sat some more. I just was not in the mood for building my jeep for 5 months.

Been back at it for a couple weekends and been ordering parts as well. Some might remember my idea of a custom dash, some may not. Its going pretty well. Getting the gauges was a HUGE step towards completion.

Still adding tubing all over the place, trying to make it as usable as possible. But how usable can a XJ be with all this stuff gone? I guess I will find out!

Also I put in a poll just for kicks on my gauge setup. just to see what different people like.
option 1
gaugeoption15zp.jpg

option 2 (there will be tube work there for it to mount off of)
gaugeoption22qc.jpg

On to the pictures...

This is the back view. That bar that runs side to side is a second floor. To mount a spare and keep everything underneath in place.
backnobumper6ji.jpg

seatmock3uf.jpg

HERE IS THE QUESTION Mounting the seats!
I am not SET on this mock up, its just tacked as of now. I have a unbent piece of 1.5" tubing running from door bar to door bar. It sites only high enough off the tranny hump to be able to remove bolted in items.

Structurally, is this not the best thing to do? I do plan on running big gussest from the tube on the floor to the seat bar, but the main reason is to support the future tube rockers. I ask structurally because I have two ways to do this. 1) pictured and 2) run a bent tube from the rocker floor bar up and over the hump. Then making seat brakets OFF the front bar and the rear bar. Make sense? what do you think should be done?

Here are some up close pictures.
seatcrossmember1xv.jpg

seatrails6wp.jpg

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

Matt

id do something to raise the back of the seat up. it looks too reclined. everything else looks good. i wish i had the nads to rip the guts out of my XJ and tube it out like that. looks sweet!! i like the second guage setup by the way.

Nice looking rig! :wave:

I can't give much help on the cage build, but for the guages, I think option 1 is best so you have a clear view available at all times. With them in the lower (option 2) position, they may be blocked by the steering wheel. Just my .02

nhrocker has a point about the steering wheel but its pretty close to stock locations... so i like option 2 better, and as for the seat mounts id do a bent tube kinda on a tangent from floor rocker to rocker so be stong lateraly and give a nice height advantage for the rear of the seats. JMO

tom

Personal preference is definitely the big factor. I just don't like having to look down through the steering wheel, but for aesthetics they look great either way. For me it's just easier to look to the left. I guess you could always set it up and then let me take it for a test drive to see if I like it..... :laugh3:

I do like the A-pillar setup, but when i do roll it over, I dont want to toast 500 dollars in gauges. I just did the gauge thing for fun.

Back to the seat help! It is leaned back quite a bit, but i seriously set it in SO many positions and that was the closest to comforatable. I have long legs and i need back support, so this seems like it will work the best.

try tilting it back up so its not so reclined, but move it back. that will put you more square to the steering wheel. if youre climbing a hill like that, you might flip out of your seat backwards. lol.

olivedrabcj7 said:
try tilting it back up so its not so reclined, but move it back. that will put you more square to the steering wheel. if youre climbing a hill like that, you might flip out of your seat backwards. lol.
nah, put it super reclined, it's better for CoG :laugh3:

WHat about mounting them on the right side of the stearing wheel on the top bar like nascar?

BrettM said:
i like the 2nd guage setup, but that is TOTALLY personal preference, so do what you like. I see the rear axle is out from under the farmer's CAT, is it getting linked?

Andy's got the tailgate for ya...

Exactly. I like the 2nd option better, but do what works for you. You are the one driving your rig and do what you like where you can keep your eyes looking ahead and not to the sides etc on your guages. Nice looking XJ, you have some great fab work there. :)

nice jungle gym...

i really dont know enough about cages to make any valid commments - however -

what if you cut into the floorpan and droped your tube to barely clearance the tranny (like 1/2" for tranny movement) and kept the straight shot - then did some "reconstructive" surgery with the floor pan to patch the holes... and be there....

maybe? then you keep the straight shot structure and mount it probably 1.5" lower?

just a thought...

another thing -
did you run any of the cage through the firewall and into the engine bay and then mount to the front "bumper bulkhead" area? that is one my big ideas for uni-body strengthening that i want to do *someday*

looking good
2nd gauge option , visibility and ease of entry and exit
no opinion on seating
idea with no dash is to run your air intake thru firewall and thru
where the glovebox would be, up to top of windshield at passenger
top side of rollcage
keep us posted with pics

I like the A-pillar design. As for the seat I'd go with a bent tube that will bring the seat lower and father forward if needed. The recline may feel comfy but being in the rocks is all about view. Tough to pick a line while you're in pimp mode.

like option 2. and brad is correct. kinda hard to see the trail when you got the gangsta lean goin..........:cheers:

Seat Mounts

The seat mounts you have pictured will be plenty strong, however they appear to be pretty reclined. I think 10-15 degrees is pretty comfortable. Here's a shot of mine if you'd like another option.
xj0496.jpg

-Jon

kid4lyf said:
The recline may feel comfy but being in the rocks is all about view. Tough to pick a line while you're in pimp mode.

Brad, your positivly right. I decided to lower the front of the seat. FM gave me the idea to use some bent tubing and drop the front. So that is what i will do.

And with the gauges, I am going to go ahead and do a combonation of the two. Going to put 2 gauges on the A-pillar and two in the center of the dash. I forgot that I am going to have to still put in my light/dimmer switch and a multitude of switches and lights.

Now I just got to figure how to make tube rockers... :rattle:

Matt

I take it you will revise the front seat mount crossbar to hug the trans tunnel (lower it)?

If you do, the two fore/aft mount bars for the seat locating bars can be set in tabs/channels with bolt holes for height/rake adjustment. The factory seat position is elevated off the floor so you should have room to work in adjustable mounts (unless you are too tall).

Box the fore/aft seat locating bars (make it a sub frame that is adjustable up/down in front & back).

Are you planning adjustable seat rails (forward/back adjustment)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back