• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock rite / power trax?

Grifter144

NAXJA Forum User
speakin of lockers i am looking at locking up my 29 spline 8 .25. and it seems most of you run either a powertrax or a lock right. what are the differences between the two (price wise, traction wise, operation etc?) also been lookin through my enormous pile of offroad mags to see who carries these for the 8.25 and dont see many em..who are you all getting them from? thanx.
CPL Maier
oh minor note- i would like to set it up with a set of 4.10s since i already have a factory set of 4.10s (94 yj) for the front..appreciate the help.
edit;i should probably mention this is my DD huh

Last edited:
the powertrax no slip operates smoother.. a little more road worthy

they both fully lock up and everything....

too bad they dont have the aussie locker out for you guys with the 8.25

hey i checked that thread sweet, thanx a bunch. and since i dont know much about axles.... i see two options for the 29 spline 8.25 powertrax. with a 10 dollar difference?why the difference or what is it? thanx again/
CPL Maier

ya basically as previously stated the no-slip is just a little more smooth on the road. it wont have the ratcheting noise and pop as much around corners when on the gas, basically locks and unlocks smoother.

i believe the cheapest place to get them is from rustysoffroad.com. they dont list them on their site for the 8.25 but if you call them they have them. i believe it is like $250 for the lock right, and $369 for the no-slip. rocky-road.com also has them i believe but i dont really like dealing with them and their customer service.

not sure but you may give dirk from dpgoffroad.com a call, he is ALWAYS very friendly and helpful.

and the difference is if you have a factory limited slip in your differential. basically not a full locker, better for road but not wheeling.

to check if ya got one or not, jack up your rig and spin the back wheel and see if the other wheel spins the same direction, if so yes...if not no

i second the dirk part! nice fella...

also the powertax no slip is available for the limited slip carrier!

I have the no slip. Pretty smooth operation on the road. It makes some sounds back there, popping and clunking, but only a little bit. My friend with a detroit in his rig, is a lot louder. On snow it will try to twist you sideways when on the gas, in 2 wheel drive, so you really need to be carefull. Of road it's made a huge difference. When climbing ledge's or soft dirt it will walk the ass end sideways a little bit, till it gets traction, no big deal. I really like it, and recomend it.

i have an aussie locker.. "somewhat like the lock rite/ powertrax"

i love it and would reccomend one to anyone..

the on-road behavior isnt as bad as you might think

i believe the handling characteristics and noise etc. of the aussie compares very much to the lock right.

the no-slip is going to be quieter and smoother then both the others, if you want/need that and want to spend the the extra money for it, otherwise throw in an aussie or lockright and get used to it.

i found the aussie operates a little smoother than a lock-rite.. as i have driven riggs with both of them

This is going into a DD. Wich would be better? My mom may even drive it once in a while. do they offer a aussie for a D44

Ummm I would nto let just anyone drive a Jeep with a locker. On slipery surfaces it can get weird on you. And if she is going to drive it get the no slip... jmho i have 2 lock rights......

Ghost said:
Ummm I would nto let just anyone drive a Jeep with a locker. On slipery surfaces it can get weird on you. And if she is going to drive it get the no slip... jmho i have 2 lock rights......
It used to be hers but since I got it 2 years ago (graduation pres'nt) she's driven it maybe 4 times that I remember. But she hates it know cause it rides rough, its to loud and the radio dos'nt work. So I guess i'll keep her away from it.

Now that I'm back workin for NAPA i better spread the word, powertrax and lock rite are both available at your local napa, now the price will probably be higher unless you know someone there. I still haven't looked one up with a AAA discount, but that might get them reasonable. Also any gearing can be takin care of.

Gene MJ

One of the heads of Aussie locker was the lead tech and designer at Powertrax.... so I've heard....
And everytime I've calles them....they'll have the 8.25 ready "in a few months". But my friend wheels em and he loves em....

another thing to take into account is the trany.. with XJs i tend to assume an AW4.. but not always the case... a lunchbox locker will be alot more transparent with the AW4.. if you are running a 5spd you will have to learn a few new driving habits.. and it will remind you it is there EVERY TIME YOU SHIFT... i am currently "learning" to live with a lockright in the rear of my YJ... it's a whole new animal..

If I remember correctly, there is only 1 kind of lunchbox locker available for the 8.25" 29-spline at this time, not counting the "ready in a few months" stuff: Powertrax NoSlip...so much of this discussion is academic. If you're wanting a truely invisible locker, pony up and put an air locker in. You get traction when you want, no possible "weirdness" when unengaged.

Yes, the air locker is expensive, like twice the cost of the NoSlip.

If you want a good price on the NoSlip, check out Rocky Road Outfitters, in Heber, UT
http://www.rocky-road.com/xjdrive.html

gene mj: thanks for the heads up on napa. my old man gets dealer costs discounts on his napa account. so i'll price it out the power trax and 4-10s for the rear of my 8.25 thru them...thanks again all who responded i think i'm going after that next paycheck in may...yeehaw
CPL Maier

Back