• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade air tube questions

jeepinairman

NAXJA Forum User
hey there....i am the type of person who has to at least try to make everything i put on the jeep.....here we go

my buddy just got a rustys air tube......kinda simple i thought...so i am going to make me one....only thing..he has a 98....which doesnt have all those "extra" lines *vaccume maybe?* going to the air box....my 89 does...

so if i make an air tube for myself will ineed to do something to adapt these lines to the air tube or will i need to just cap them off

*lookin to get flamed here......be gentle*

My 96 only has the one for the valve cover, I just left mine setting there. It is used for the fumes that build up from the oil to be burnt right through the engine. I havent had any blow by issues either or check engine lights. What other lines do you have going to the airbox? I only had the one. Good luck. Jeff

well going to the back of the airbox there are 2 lines going into it.....and one going to the front that is more llike a tube....i have been told this is the vaccum motor?...i dont konw much about all those lines or what they do or what they go too.....help is appreicated...i do have the crankcase tube coming in...

thanks

yes....your 96 must be like his.....he only had the one going to his box too

The 2 small tubes are for the thermostat for the "warm air intake" near the manifold IIRC. The large tube is for the PCV from the valve cover.

For the 2 small tubes, cap the one with vacuum on it. For the big tube, you need to tie that into your air tube to preserve PCV.

HTH

Rev

make a metal (3 in") tube that connects to rubber flex from plenum
drill and tap for the larger one . don't worry about the others
someone else chime in please

For the 2 larger hoses on the intake tube:
One goes to the crankcase fresh air in. You can eliminate this tube if you put one of those small filters on top of the valve cover.

The other tube goes to the fuel vapor evaporative canister. Im pretty sure you can eliminate this one also although I kept mine hooked up.

The 2 small ones on the air box can be eliminated since they control the thermostatic valve on the stock airbox which you will be removing anyway. Just remember to cap the vacumm side.

Back