• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock riding 18" high?

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I measured my center cap to fender flares and it is 18" front and back.
i thought most xj's was 17 to 17.5
i don't have up country package?
but have noticed when i get beside another xj , i'm higher.
any ideals on this? 2001 sport totally stock
Thanks!

Even if it's not an Upcountry model, it could have the Upcountry springs. I'd check to see if it has a rear sway-bar, if it doesn't it could indicate the Upcountry suspension. If it has the towing package it would also have higher rate springs which could make it sit higher than stock. Just a few thoughts.....either way, it's a good thing :wave:

There is no Up Country model. Don't confuse the Up Country (Off-Road) equipment package with the Country model that was offered in the mid-90s. The Country Edition was a trim level, replacing the Briarwood and essentially equal to the Classic.

Up Country was an equipment option package available on all models. It included higher/stiffer springs, gas shocks, skid plates, tranny cooler, tow hooks, and limited slip rear diff.

isn't the height measured from the bottom of the driver side door?? once i went to the DMV and he said that my jeep was lifted to much and he was not going to even inspect it, i told him that he was crazy so he went into the office and got a paper and then he measured from the bottom of my door to the ground and said hey what size lift did you get and i said 3in skyjacker and the guy was a total and dick and was like o well you got jiped b/c it is only 2in of lift. the guy didn't know his ass from his elbow b/c i have a 3in lift with 31'' tires so that raisies the hieght as well, i know that sometimes the lifts aren't really what they say but about the measrue from the door to the ground thing????

Eagle said:
There is no Up Country model. Don't confuse the Up Country (Off-Road) equipment package with the Country model that was offered in the mid-90s. The Country Edition was a trim level, replacing the Briarwood and essentially equal to the Classic.

Up Country was an equipment option package available on all models. It included higher/stiffer springs, gas shocks, skid plates, tranny cooler, tow hooks, and limited slip rear diff.
Sorry about that, I meant the package, not the Country model. :gag:

Jeep839 said:
isn't the height measured from the bottom of the driver side door?? once i went to the DMV . . .
This may be the way the DMV measures, but it doesn't serve the same purpose as we need (for the reason you already noted - tire size will skew the calculation). The "normal" measurement is 17.5 inches from the center of the front center cap to the bottom edge of the wheel opening in the fender, and 17 for the rear. This method works even if you change tire sizes (but, won't work if you trim your fenders!).

The method the DMV uses will give an indication of the overall lift including tire selection, but would be unreliable in trying to determine how much gain you achieved from a certain lift. Many (most?) people install a lift and larger tires at the same time, so the DMV method would not tell you if you got the full 4" of lift (or whatever) advertised by the suspension vendor.

thanks for the input.
my cherokee doesn't have skid plates or towe package?
could they still have ordered the up country package without the other stuff.

I know i'm measuring right.

My 94' is the same way it sits at 18 " stock I like it because I can fit 30x9.50x15 BFG a/t's without rubing at all. My only fear is that when i install my 4" lift next week that I am only going to gain 1-1.5" over what it sits at now! So accually I will only gain 1" for the price of 4. Man this sucks.

It would not suprise me at all if JIT did not always work on the lines and they used other stuff to keep the line running.

TBCherokee said:
thanks for the input.
my cherokee doesn't have skid plates or towe package?
could they still have ordered the up country package without the other stuff.
Nope. The Up Country package was a package.

Did yours come with a class 3 trailer hitch? Maybe it has heavy duty springs.

What size tires do you have? That would affect your measurement. My '01 sport is exactly 17.5" front and 17" rear with 225/75r15's (still the original goodyear tires).

In stock trim the tire size does not effect the hieght from the center of the wheel to the edge of the wheel well. It only effects the hieght from the lowest point on the vehicle to the ground (ground clearance).

Wow, I must have been really tired this morning... I'll use my one week old son as my excuse. My earlier statement makes no sense :p Sorry

i have read all your comments

my 2001 sport is bone stock, no towe package, it has a sway bar in back and it rides on toyo 225/75/15 open country tires A/T

They must have used differant springs and stuff when mine was on line.

Same deal here...almost.

Rear is 17.5-17.75"

Front is 18-18.25"

Bone stock, no up country (no hitch, hooks, skids, nada).

It's a 1998.

I posted about this about a week ago but no one responded, I guess they didnt like my thread title, lol.

Edit: oh yeah I know the previous owners personally and they did NOT mess with the springs at all from stock. Next stop, 1" shackle (RE which is actually .9" lift), .75" front spacer and 30's :D

Back