• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? for Tera Low owners and/or users

David B.

NAXJA Member #490
I am going to install a 4:1 Tera Low on my '93 Cherokee, NP231 TC, next Thursday (14th). I will then be going to Moab exactly two weeks later, on the 28th. My question is, do these need a "break in" period before serious off-road use? I do not do the extreme trails (yet), but if so, is it wise to take it out so soon after installation?

Thanks

Change the oil after the first 1000 miles, & pay attention to the suggested rev limits, & you'll be fine. Oh yeah, make sure the oil pick up tube is connected good. Also clean the srceen good while you have it apart.

Rob P

Ditto on the rev limits.
They say the new planetarys will break in in 2 WD. Don;t sweat the noise the first time you pull the handle up to 4 low. :laugh3:

Don't run the XJ in 4 low too often on the trail. If your transiting say on the fire roads/non obsticle by-ways, push it to 4 high. It will over heat before you know it.
I fused the thrust washer to the planetary's the 2nd time I took it out. Over heated it. Tera did honor the warranty though, so after a little shipping and rebuild time, I'm happy.

DaffyXJ said:
Ditto on the rev limits.
They say the new planetarys will break in in 2 WD. Don;t sweat the noise the first time you pull the handle up to 4 low. :laugh3:

Don't run the XJ in 4 low too often on the trail. If your transiting say on the fire roads/non obsticle by-ways, push it to 4 high. It will over heat before you know it.
I fused the thrust washer to the planetary's the 2nd time I took it out. Over heated it. Tera did honor the warranty though, so after a little shipping and rebuild time, I'm happy.

uhhhh... I was thinking about the Tera kit for both our Jeeps, but this has me second guessing it... What are the rev limits?

Once we hit the trails, I usually leave it in 4LO, and when we're cruising around btwn trails or along easy sections I just put the tranny in 2nd or drive... if there's rev and speed limits on the Tera kit, I may rethink going with RockTrac t'cases.

Last edited:
Back