• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky freeze plug??

xjeeeper

NAXJA Forum User
My baby just started leaking from what my best guess is the freeze plug.. Under the exaust manafold seems to be about two inches wide.. Does any one know if that is what it would be?? it's a '85 2.5.. If that's it--- can I just crank down on it or how do i tighten it up???

The freeze plug although possible does not come up that often but being an 85 ???. Do you have a block heater? That was the first thing that came to mind for me since I have had it happen where the heater leaks and needs to be replaced ( on the wife's 'Yota...twice :mad: ) granted, not on a Jeep.

Sorry, I may have misunderstood you. If you can see that it is a freeze plug and not a block heater then you would have to pull the old plug out, clean the hole and knock in a new plug...unfortunately that would also mean pulling the manifold and anything else in the way of you hammering in the new one. You can insert plugs really easily if you use a deep impact socket the same diameter as the inside of the plug and carefully tap it in with a hammer taking care to drive it in straight. From the teachings of the Indian sage "Bhindar Dundat" :lecture:

There is no "cranking down" on a freeze plug. The have to be hammered in. Put some sort of new sealer around the new one and you might as well replace them all being that its an 85.

What kinda sealer?? I got some left over red goop from my vave cove would that work or something else??

Ok new idea--- I'm not sure if it is a freeze plug-- they are flat disk like things right?? what I am looking at is about 2" wide it sits flat with the crankcase but a small narrow handle like thing sticks out-- When i grab it it will wobble around but not come out-- what else could it be???

xjeeeper said:
Ok new idea--- I'm not sure if it is a freeze plug-- they are flat disk like things right?? what I am looking at is about 2" wide it sits flat with the crankcase but a small narrow handle like thing sticks out-- When i grab it it will wobble around but not come out-- what else could it be???

I never heard of a freeze plug with a handle. Where exactly is it located. Could you get a pic. As far as sealer you need something that will harden. Permatex makes some stuffin a little bottle with a brush, the name escapes me now.

are you saying that my descriptive writing skills are not good enough for you?? yeah I will see if I can find a camra for a pic...

It is directly in from the throttle linkageto grab it I have to fish my hand through and around all of that... if that helps..

Are you grabbing it from underneath the jeep or from the top? If its a freez plug there should be four of them in a row down the side of the block all of them looking the same and in a straight line. Are you sure this leak is coolant?

i just barly spent a "Few bucks" on a new radiator--- no reason going about and clogging it up already-- anyways-- yeah I'm sure it is coolant-- ias I pour it in to the radiator it runns through the engine and then directly to the ground... i'll post a pic today--

Oh yeah and also-- yeah IT is lined up with the other conventianal plugs-- I think that it might be the left overs to a block heater-- I was reading through the litirature that came with the jeep (owner's manuel) and it says that the cold weather pacage includes a block heater... and since this xj's home was norhtern alsaka I'm guessing that it had one at one point I just never saw it---- If this is what it is--- how would I get the dumb thing outa there???

xjeeeper said:
well I's a BIG leak-- it just flows outta there as I pour it in.. not justalittle seeping or nothing...

If its a block heater it should be a threaded object with sides on which to put a wrench. Take it out and put a bung of some sort in there. I would really like a pic.

K I got the damn thing out-- sure enough it was a block heater-- the bolt to tighten/loosen was stripped so I had to pull the intake/exaust manafolds and after and hour w/ a pry bar the thing is outta there-- thnk goodness!!! thanks to all for the help!!

Back