• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Available SBNF Adopt-A-Trails

Ed A. Stevens

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
There are a number of available SBNF trails/roads for adoption that we could get involved with ASAP in the Onyx Peak area:

The first two are seldom traveled and have a single challenge each, the third is easy, quiet, and experiences minimal regular traffic.

2N68Y. This road/trail runs from 2N01 up to 1N01, west to east, and is about 1 1/2 miles long. The west to east climb off of 2N01 is loose shale and a challenge for open vehicles, easy downhill east to west. The balance of the trail runs a ridgeline and crosses the PCT, before climbing to 1N01. Most of the ridgeline is remote and brushy with Ironwood and Juniper. The area is known for reasonably good seasonal game viewing and proximity to seasonal T&E flora. Right now the road/trail is overgrown and brushy is spots (needs some trimming to minimize pinstripes). The 1N01 intersection is adjacent to the 2N64Y/1N01 connector that allows you to drive back down to the Juniper Springs Group Campground. Richard and Ray may recognize this road/trail from the second SoCal XJ group run in Big Bear (five year back), the one where Greg Friedman's backup stocker had trouble climbing the shale hillclimb right off the main dirt road.

2N87Y. This is a severely overgrown road/trail between 2N02 and the Erwin Lake area running north to south from 2N02, and east to west on a ridge into the Irwin Lake residential area (~2 miles long). 2N87Y is not shown on the USFS map, and is a road located ~ 1/2 mile west of the PCT (shown on the map), and the local identifier is "Deadmans Ridge". There is a climb when running north to south that is long and severly lose shale, requiring lockers and momentum, and a left hand turn ~3/4 of the way up. Going down the hill is easy. Deadmans Ridge runs east/west and is severely overgrown, with brush choking the road to single track width. When I ran this road two years ago the brush on Deadmans Ridge removed my chrome rain gutter trim (I doubt a 4x4 has been through since, MC's find the brush tight).

2N04. This is an easy road that runs from HWY 38 north, and then east to intersect 2N01 near the Juniper Springs Group Campground. If you are at the 2N01 intersecton with the access road to the GCG, this is the road that runs NE across the meadow, and then runs a switchback down into the trees and back up to the Hwy (~3 miles long). This is one of the few roads with lots of shade, and a wet creek crossing (Arraste Creek). There is no significant driving challenge (green run), although it is one of the more relaxing and secluded roads in the area.

If Chapter members are in the area I recommend running the first and third recommendations (you will need help to find the second). I would be willing to run one or more on June 21/22 i the afternoon.

Ed, is 2n68y head up towards Onyx from Juniper springs group then switch back to the right, with a rock on the rt. hand side of the trail w/ no trespassing hand painted on it ? Green paint I think.

I'm not lost, just don't know the way home!

No. The road with the NO TP sign is before you get to the share cabin, 2N68Y begins at the top where 1N01 intersects (and heads back down the hill to the NW).

The sections of land with the cabin and spring were deeded to the USFS about two years ago, and the painted NO TP signs have never been removed. The thin carsonite road closed signs are also not fully ligitimate as the ROD for the Unauthorized Roads designation was never completed (the signs were posted before the designation process that will authorize the signs was completed).

I think this is an excellent idea for the NEW so cal Chapter to get involved with and give it some credibility in the San Bernardino Forest management circle. My opinion is that the most exposure is the best trail to adopt. When I mean exposure I mean to the general public. We don't need to convence other off roaders but we do need to give good vibes to the general public.
Mike Rollins, this is a great VP project to get completed.
My opinion only.
Mil

As Kejtar said, let's take a look around at them on the weekend of the 21st and/or 22nd. You know I really want to get a trail adopted so I can get the warm and fuzzy feelings!

Anyway, for everybody that can't make it out that weekend I'll take lots of pictures of the trails so that we can all make the decision.

Sequoia

Ed, just so you know, when I got to the sign I turned around. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back here by any means. I also know for a FACT that every person who has of yot posted on this particular thread as of yet would have done exactly the same thing. But to expand on what GRNT was pointing out, If you are a wheeler and just checking this tread out, PLEASE respect the posted signs. Better yet join up with us to do what we can to keep trails open and maybe undo some of the harm that has been done by the few that all of us are judged by.
I agree that maximum exposure is only a good thing if WE keep up our end. Count me in for which ever trail is ultimatly decided upon.

Respecting the no trespassing signs is a good policy, even if they are suspected of being false or may be placed without ligitimate authorization. I did not read that you drove past the sign, I did not intend to make that impression.

FWIW, the road you mentioned does not go that far around the hill. Part of what the OHV Volunteers do is drive the unknown routes with the USFS, because the USFS does not have capable vehicles to safely tackle all the trails. The road you mentioned, if it is the same road, was part of the subdivision road cuts from the early 50's. Most people do not know the history of the area, or that the area was once one of those forested land lease projects. The prior owners leased land to the public for vacation homes, and the one room share cabin that remains is typical of the construction. They failed to pay the taxes, and The Nature Conservancy purchased the land and deeded it to the USFS in a land trade. The other structures in the area have been torn down due to problems with vandals and fire/public safety dangers.

A major shared goal is to preserve enough good motorized recreation opportunity, partly through adopted trail maintenance, that there is no need to bushwhack past road closure signs.

Of the three roads/trails the public travel is greatest on 2N04, followed by 2N68Y, and almost zero on 2N87Y. The difficuly is probably rated easy, intermediate, and moderately-difficult (respectively).

Oh - no. Er yes. I mean that I know that you did not imply, suggest or other-wise say anything that could even be construed that I might have. That was a mouthful. LOL.
I'm familiar with the OHV program. My wife and I had started the training proscess about a year and a half ago. Never did get off my(our) duff and schedule ride -alongs. Dang time machine keeps acting up. Would we have to start all over?

T (foot dragger) BENT

T Bent said:
Would we have to start all over?

T (foot dragger) BENT

No problem, and no starting over, just pick back up where you stopped. We have over 50 active members now, and 150 that show up occasionally, we understand that not everyone can book 90 hours a year. There is quite a bit comming up this summer, 4x4 & chain saw certification classes on the 29th (MC & ATV on following weekends) , and more info at OHV Volunteer news.

Volunteers may be pressed into more remote trail runs by the USFS if the fire danger closes the majority of the forest (a high probability with the bark beetle kill). The SO realizes we can go where they cannot, and does not want us locked out like last year (it left too much forest abandoned).

I'll be at KOPL at the Discovery Center on the 21st, and then run back up to the Onyx Peak area with some friends. What CB & Ham frequency? (BTW, KOPL will be using the Onyx Peak repeater for coordination communication).

Well, as for CB's, I'll be on channel 4. If that channel's clogged I'll bump up one channel until I find a clear one. (So if 4's clogged, I'll take 5, if 5's clogged 6, etc. etc. etc.)

No dice on ham, I'm not that much of a geek. :D

actually you probably wanna stay on 4... cause one channel might be busy at one time and not busy at others..... Also.. in case some other group needs help it's good to be able to hear them.

Kejtar

Back