• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker Mileage Q

FUNKYTEE5

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I'm planning on doing a stroker in a daily driver, so MPG is a big issue. What rpms are you stroker guys spinning on the freeway and what kind of mileage figures are y'all getting? Thanks for the input:)

FUNKYTEE5

4.6 w/ accurate power parts, 5 spd, 32s and 3.73 gearing. I get 17-19 mpg mixed driving, about 85% highway (although I got a 21 mpg tank last week with a little acetone... ;) )

I get 15-16 with 35's, 4.88's, and spinning 3,200 RPM on long hauls to Johnson Valley.

That's fully loaded with enough gear for 4 days of camping, a wife, and two dogs.

CRASH

I'm about 18-19 MPG with 35's, 4.56 gears and a 5 spd.

The stroker is a budget home made one.

Bender said:
I'm about 18-19 MPG with 35's, 4.56 gears and a 5 spd.

The stroker is a budget home made one.
Is that U.S. or Imperial gallons?

Just curious.

r@m

So, it sounds as if the stroker isn't too picky about rpms and mileage as it would seem with more displacement. Very interesting considering many similiar sized V-8 engines in 4wd rigs don't get much over 15mpg unloaded, stock tires, and spinning fairly low rpms in OD. Sounds like the stroker I-6 might have some inherent advantages when compared to other engines?

FUNKYTEE5

cbremer said:
sounds like i need to figure out why my mileage sucks so bad :(

unloaded, i'm only getting about 13-14 mpg street and slightly better on the highway. 87 4-door, 4.6L w/ accurate power pistons, 35s, 4.56, auto. anyone have any bright ideas?

I think the "auto" is the culpret -- seems the rest of us respondents are running 5 spds... :flipoff:

wascobi said:
are all there mileage quotes on motors with an adjustable map sensor? I'm good to go on the hard parts, but the map sensor issue is bugging me enough to hold off for now.

I run a 4.6 with Accurate pistons, 9.4 to 1 compression, a 58 mm TB, header and full mandrel 2.5" exhaust.

I run 24 lb/hr Ford blue top injectors and have absolutely no use for an adjustable MAP. I tune with a true digital wideband computer and a 5 wire Bosch wideband o2. I started with the adjustable MAP set at OEM trim, and never had to touch it. After a couple of thousand miles of testing, I just removed it from the system when it failed in Arizona. The o2 numbers never changed.

CRASH

Just completed a 1100 mile road trip this afternoon so now my stroker's done 9500 miles. On the highway, fuel consumption was 21.4mpg (Imperial) at an average speed of 79mph.
In mixed city/highway driving I'm averaging exactly 20mpg (Imperial). My stroker's a 4.6 HO unit built on a '00 block and '92 head; 9.25:1 CR, Ford 24lb injectors, stock 39psi regulator, MAP adjuster set at 5.15v. A/F mixtures just about perfect. Mobil 1 0W-40 full synthetic in the pan.
Oh, my '92 XJ is a 5-speed with stock 3.07 gears and 27.4" tires (225/70R15). At a true 70mph in 5th, the engine's loafing along at an unstressed 2080rpm.

Last edited:
Back