• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ to a TJ 4.0L

kewlkatdady

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '88 XJ auto with NP 231 that I've almost broke in half.
I found a TJ frame body and axles.

I rebuilt my 4.0L in my XJ about 1200 miles ago so I want to move the XJ motor auto tranny and NP231 into the TJ.

I have the renix (sp.) 4.0L....will it work.

If it matters the TJ has the wiring harness and PCM and almost everything else that should be there.

Any ideas on what is should expect?

Year on the TJ?

might help..

Did the TJ come with a Renix motor?

All important things to think about.... did the 231 come in the TJ??

I mean if this is all universal parets found on the TJ you should eb able to find the brackets you need to fit your parts into the TJ..

Theres probably alot more to it than you think though...

Try to find a TJ in the yard with all it's components... start comparing XJ to TJ and figure out the differences and the hurdles youll have to cross...

I seriously doubt anyone will have specific comments on you situation...

but don't let that get you down! Charge onward!

the TJ...did have the 4.0L and the NP231. I do not know if it was a renix 4.0L in the TJ.

I do not think Jeep still uses the renix set up. I do know the the tj's have coil on plug ignition vs. the distributor cap on my XJ

the TJ is a '98 model

The TJ never had a Renix 4.0. If you want to license it and have emission inspections, you probably won't be able to put in an engine that's older than the vehicle.

bringing this wayyy back from the dead.

I have the oppurtunity to inherit a renix 4.0/ aw4 fo free

I would be putting it in my bud's 4cyl tj, both the engine and hte transmission... WHat all would be involved?

1. Contact your state licensing agency to see if there are any restrictions on putting that year engine into whatever year TJ your Bud has.

Post back when you find out.

Back