• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

braces or brackets first ??

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok well ive seen ALOT of different opinions on how to install these RE Drop brackets. some people say install the braces first, some people say install brackets first. the things that everyone agrees on from what ive seen is to install 1 side at a time, and to NOT tighten anything up until everythings in place. im going to be doing these alone in my driveway and am just trying to get some better ideas. thanks for your time, and i thank you in advance

There is no need to "open" the holes, but I did have to do some grinding on the front uper corner of the braces to fit over the bumpon the frame rail. Bracket first. The trouble I remember is reaching up inside to put the little bolts in the conect them. I put tape on an open end wrench to hold the nut then put in the bolts from the back.
I have big hands, maybe others can reach in there.

i also had to grind down the backside of the LCA mounts... theres a little hump that sticks out between the two shim holes. you may not need to grind it like i did, but i wanted the braces and the brackets to sit snug up against each other.

brandon

The RE directions say to grind the hump down.

Also, the upper bolts holding the bracket to the brace need to be about 1" longer than the directions say. This will make your life loads easier.

Fergie

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html

One side at a time, brackets first, loosely bolted in and then work on the brace. There's no advantage to putting the braces in first and trying to make the bracket fit while working around the drooping brace. Don't tighten ANYTHING until you've got all the bolts in place, and even then you may have to tighten everything in sequence until it's all snugged down.

Doing mine tomorrow as they just arrived yesterday.
Big thanks to dpgoffroad for sending them to Oz for me ;)

Yucca-Man said:
Don't tighten ANYTHING until you've got all the bolts in place, and even then you may have to tighten everything in sequence until it's all snugged down.
There's the key to the install! :repair:

Back