• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing with XJ question.

UKJeeper1

NAXJA Forum User
I hope some of you may be able to help a mate of mine who's having trouble towing safely.

Hi all,

Having replaced my 1984 110 which needed a lot of work I ended up with a '97 facelift Cherokee 4l LTD. I'm pleased with the car - 1 owner, FSH, 55K etc. It had never towed so I got a Witter towbar fitted, since I run a mobile espresso business and need to tow a large trailer around. I only travel short distances (less than 10 miles each way).

The 110 never had a problem, but the Jeep has a big problem. At anything over 45mph, as soon as I decelerate the trailer starts to snake. It carries on doing this until the vehicle slows to <40mph. I've replaced the rear shocks and put 4 new tyres on. The trailer noseweight is within the Jeep required tongue weight of 90-130kg. It's a twin axle 12x7 catering trailer. My next plan is to also renew the front shocks and I suppose I should investigate replacement rear springs? Any advice please?

On a different note, I booked it in for an additional transmission cooler, but when they looked they couldn't fit one since they couldn't find anywhere to put one. They usually mount it behind the radiator on the o/s, but I have an electric fan there (for the A/C), and with the engine fan on the other side there was no space. Is there anywhere else that a cooler can go? Since I only do 10 miles or less each day with the trailer I'm not too bothered, but I would like to do what I can to sustain the auto box.

One more Q please - I don't think the previous owner ever used permanent 4WD. I put it in fulltime 4WD and it made an intermittent noise (slight grating/something noise!) from underneath, sometimes when turning right, sometimes when driving straight ahead. I put it back into 2WD but I then lost drive, it just coasted. I got to the side of the road and engaged reverse OK, so I drove back a few feet. I was then able to select drive again. I tried 4WD a few times, but get an intermittent drivetrain noise still. Any ideas? Apart from checking the rear diff for oil, anything else that might be wrong?

Thanks for bearing with me

I like the Jeep a lot, but it's possibly a bit small to tow a 1800kg trailer? Too late now - I'm keeping it

How long is that coffee-mobile? I've towed all kinds of heavy stuff w/ a class 3, but years ago after my first trip w/ a 2500+ lb. camper (swaying so badly) I went out and bought a weight-distributing hitch with the anti-sway attachment. Since then everything goes on that hitch & i've had no problems at all with weight or length. They're worth the cash if it's for your business, then you can write it off on your taxes next year. As far as the 4wd, try a linkage adjustment 1st.

That's quite a bit of weight behind a Cherokee and your friend should use a load equalizing hitch and a sway control device. Looking at Witter's web site, it doesn't appear they offer a load equalizing hitch. I've towed a trailer of that weight for about 50,000 miles, but I wouldn't choose to do it with a Cherokee. If I had to do it with a Cherokee I wouldn't do it without an equalizing hitch and sway control. It's not clear which transfer case he has, but I'm suspicious he has the NP231 which should not be used for 4WD on hard surfaced roadways. If he has the NP242, then he should be able to run on any surface if he selects full time 4WD instead of part time 4WD.

I tow my boat (22 ft./3800 lbs total length/weight) all over the California Sierra's with my XJ. No problems whatsoever, except that the XJ struggles up the big hills with boat in tow. I use a standard Class III hitch and have basic surge brakes on the trailer. Do you have trailer brakes on your trailer? Without those, it will definitely jack knife back and forth when the tow vehicle decelerates. Start there before upgrading the jeep. The trailer brake kits are inexpensive compared to the air bags, springs, etc.
As for the 4WD thing, don't put it in 4H/4L on pavement or other non-slippery surface. It's bad for the t-case and drivetrain and will make scarry noises. Find some mud, snow, sand, soft dirt, etc. to try the 4 wheel drive on.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

The trailer has brakes (what are called overrun brakes over here). They work fine - they actually slow the Jeep ;)

WRT 4WD - mine is the version with both part time and full-time 4wd, and then 4wd-Lo. The manual says it can be driven in full time 4wd permanently, but since I rely on the vehicle I don't want to risk the slight noise becoming a breakdown, so I'm in 2WD all the time right now.

I'll investigate the air suspension, but that seems to lower the Jeep whereas I'd actually like the Jeep a bit higher (it a fairly tall trailer, and the wind resistance can't help).

I'll read some more and reply as necessary...

weight distributing hitch...is a MUST

and possibly sway control..(although difficult to use in a "many turns" in-town situation..usually used on the highway at high speeds)

If you get the proper hitch head to slide in your reciever, and bars that will attach to the head and the A frame of the trailer ( I assume such a trailer would not be a single bar tounge)...you can load your xj properly...as such literally watch the front of your xj move down towards the ground as the weight of the trailer is transfered forward over the greater surface area of your jeep...

it is the coolest thing to watch..it will give you tones of confidence and the ride will be sweet and cozy...

trust us...the price of the distributing hitch can be a bit much at first...but all doubts fade in the first drive...

http://www.reese-hitches.com/heavy_duty_round_bar_wd.htm

just my .02

Morgoon

Hi, thanks for the replies...

The trailer is a standard (for the UK) braked trailer with an A-frame at the front leading to a single hitch. We don't have receivers here (illegal). I don't know of a weight distributing hitch here in the UK..

Danny

the reciever is the part that the hitch head slides into...probably a 2" square hole in your "trailer hitch"

the hitch head..equalizer must be available in the uk...

check around...

see the link I posted..if it doesnt work just go to reese hitches ..or type in equalizer hitch...see what comes up...

I will look for a uk source in the meantime

:)

Sorry, I thought the receiver was the square hole you people have in the towbar (the bit mounted to the vehicle), whereas we have a towball.

I don't know offhand what section the trailer chassis is at the hitch, but I'll measure it.

A UK Google for equaliser or weight distributing hitch gets no commercial UK suppliers.

it does sound like your trailer is "swaying" during the braking..

I use for my 2 horse trailer with 2 horses in it (4500lbs load) is this device and it works wonderfully.

http://www.draw-tite.com/products/products/tow_wd_roundbar.shtml

I use the 1000lbs tougues... I even have the side sway bar (prevent the trailer from swinging side to side in high winds on the highway, I never but twice have to use it (and were are talking 30-40mph cross winds here)

I have put over 50K on my 98 XJ with this set up without a single problem, make sure you switch to the higher rated differential lubricants (140w90) when your using your Xj to haul (talking about 2wd here and making an assumption)

I have retired my 98, now at 192K miles on it, runs just as well as ever had, but replaced it with a 2001 , I just transfered the hitch/brakes system/ electricals to the new Xj... and back on the road I was...

Cheers..

Guys... How about pics of what you hauling.

Here is my 98, back when ..(before the Air Suspension)

PA100384.JPG

Last edited:
Back