• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Completely topless

againstherwill

NAXJA Forum User
So after having so much fun Easter weekend cutting the fender of my 89 the cutting bug has hit me and hit me hard. Since my original dream wheeler was a FJ (I know sacrilege but go drive one they drive like sh*t no matter how many upgrades.

Anyway the Idea of top down wheeling hit me hard this last summer and after cutting my way to fender freedom I started thinking about top down wheeling with the XJ.

Here's my thoughts. Feel free to flame on these I want the Ideas. I want to remove the whole top, Keep the doors, Loose the liftgate and replace it with a MJ Tailgate. Then Get a Canback for a full length truck bed And modify it to fit the top and behind the c pillar. Keeping the appearence of the d pillar using the canback but allowing for the freedom to remove. And with the MJ tailgate I get a bed too!

How you say. My thought was to first sleeve the pseudo's and run new cross bracing or a flat belly between. Once the sleeves and belly were done I would then attach an interior cage to the sleeves and the floor (yes the floor with Large Mounting plates to spread out the weight and twisting); running new A, B, C, and Half D pillars. After the interior cage was installed (And for all of those mourning or spreading rumors about Bezil I would triagulate the whole thing) I would then attach the interior cage to the original a, b, c and half of the D. Lastly I would cut the top off and start working on the liftgate/tailgate switch.

What Do y'all think? Doable?

any things doable send lots of pics and good luck, i cant say i havent thought of it myself.

ALL HAIL THE ALL MIGHTY SAW-ZALL AND CUTTING WHEELS.....HAIL...HAIL...HAIL!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! :guitar: :cheers: :yelclap:

go for it and post lots of pics... good luck :D

and by the way, i was disappointed by the false advertisment of the thread title!!!:laugh3:

There was also that yellow one sitting on a big rock a few years ago that had done the top removal and had a pretty nice looking cage. Maybe someone saved the pic somewhere...

Rev ever since I started lurking here I thought your xj was great. it was what started me thinking about the cuts. Thanx so much to the pic's.

Putting the cage in first was the goal. I thought that I would attach everything first to keep it square to the body as it is. Also I have thoughts of salvaging the top in one piece creating a Hardtop.

againstherwill said:
I have thoughts of salvaging the top in one piece creating a Hardtop.

I had those thoughts....IF you are going to try that...re-enforce the top BEFORE cutting it off...it gets real flimsy when it is removed, mine bent instantlly.

Rev

againstherwill said:
Also I have thoughts of salvaging the top in one piece creating a Hardtop.

I've been thinking the same thing. I want to cut a big rectangle out of the top and turn that into a removeable hard top. Im just trying to figure out how i will clamp it down when its in place and how to seal it to keep water out without creating any low points where water could collect and start another rust problem.

I would suggest getting rid of the top, and find another salvage jeep and cut the hell out of it to get a lot of the roof. This way you would have more than enough material to use...

what does everyone think of this cage? I think it looks slick but dont know how strong it would be.
2ltmw6

Back