• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabricating Durable Leaves

HaZakated

NAXJA Forum User
I have 4 extra leaf springs sitting in my garage for my 2000 XJ. 2 came stock, 2 are worn out of shape kinda (not alot). I was thinking about how to reinforce my new springs. They are the stock springs still (I run 2"spacers for lift) but they are the stock OEM springs that one gets with the off road or tow package when buying. They are noticibly stronger and a rougher ride, but I just want to make sure that they stay that way. What if I cut a couple of the leaves from my old springs and incorperated them into my new leaves? Would this work? Would it give me more lift? Would it hurt anything? How would I clamp the springs together after adding leaves?

Ive never heard of this being done so im just curios as to if it would be posiible....oh yeah, Im broke so Im always thinking of how to make it better with no loot.
Brian

Your best bet would be to ditch the 2" block. Get a .5" block and longer shackle. Or even an AAL. The 2" block will destroy a stock spring pack. But if you just replaced your spring pack you probably know that. ;)

Take apart the better set of springs, cut the eyes off the main leaves, and use them as add-a-leaves in your springs. This will give you somewhere around 1-1/2" of lift -- get rid of the blocks, because they will make the springs sag. There's an excellent write-up on this here on this forum. I don't have it bookmarked, but search for Rock Lizard and you'll find it.

You will need new center pins and new rebound clips. Within the last day or two someone posted a link to Husky Spring Company. They have all the pieces you'll need to make this work.

Back