• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit lean??

"Wolz"

NAXJA Forum User
I have read the term "Detroit lean" more than once. What does it mean? My Detroit locked XJ leans to the drivers-side in the rear while parked, is this the same? Why does it cause it to lean?

i think what your talking about is caused by binding in the drive line that is normal with a locker that is not selectable. u know in a muscle car when you rev the engine it leans to one side well that is kinda what is going on.

Last edited:
It refers to the driver leaning down over the center console area. Keep low to stay out of the way of bullets you know.

Probably unrelated to your Detroit locker.

bj-666 said:
i think what your talking about is caused by binding in the drive line that is normal with a locker that is not selectable. u know in a muscle car when you rev the engine it leans to one side well that is kinda what is going on.

bj- I believe what you are referring to is the torque from the engine rocking back and forth, either in nuetral or when under load.

My XJ leans while parked. Springs and locker are new, I hope my spring pack isn't defective.

The lean that you're referring can be a "normal lean" when using a locker on the street.

Anyways, it's caused by the rear end "pushing" the front end because of the traction from being locked on the pavement/concrete. It puts a kind of a binding/twisting on your unibody...and that transfers to and through the easiest place for it to go...the shocks & springs. It's worse if a rig has a rusty or weakened frame/unibody structure.

In other words....when you pull up, or into a parking space....whatever direction your steering wheel/front tires are turned in....even if it's just barely turned...can cause the front spring to compress a little bit more on one side than the other from the binding forces/pressures. This sometimes causes the "lean" you were referring to.

If it isn't locked...or leans the same way no matter how you turn the wheel and apply torque to it. Then, I'd say, that you might also have other issues like a bent spring or possibly frame/unibody tweakage or weakness.

It's more noticeable on rigs without swaybars ....and rigs with a flexy or a softer spring set-up. I've had full-framed vehicles that would sometimes sit almost 3" lower on one side, due to this...and with mine...the wider the tires, the worse the lean was.

To see if that's what's going on with your ride...just simply straighten the steering wheel up and back it up and pull it forward a couple of times...keep the steering wheel as straight as possible when doing this. Then get out and check it to see if it's still "leaning".

Aron

Last edited:
its because when its sitting there engaged, the locker has tension in it. that tension is translated through to the driveshaft which has a torsional force on the T-case which is attached to the jeep causing it to lean in that direction. happens with spools and welded spiders too.

olivedrabcj7 said:
its because when its sitting there engaged, the locker has tension in it. that tension is translated through to the driveshaft which has a torsional force on the T-case which is attached to the jeep causing it to lean in that direction. happens with spools and welded spiders too.

so there's no torque with an open diff?

jjvande said:
so there's no torque with an open diff?
hells if i know, this is just what i was told when i asked about it.

You can get the same thing by torquing it against the brakes, applying the e-brake, and shifting to park. the vehice will still "Lean" because of torque and friction. the tires are pushing the vehicle in the air(antisquat, among other things), the e-brake is keeping the wheels from turning, and that torsional stress is stored in the vehicle.

In Detroit it's called the Livernois Lean all you see is brass knuckles on the steering wheel and the trunk lid vibratin' from the bass.

Back