• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

popping sound in the front end

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
My '00 makes a "popping sound" in the front end when I turn the wheel. I do not have a lift on it yet but a 4.5 RE is on the way. (getting ready for the big party in Oct.) A new track bar comes with the lift so I nrver replaced the stock one. When someone turns the wheel the bracket the track bar mounts to the frame moves. I have never noticed this in my prievious XJ (an 88), although I did replace the track bar 3 times in 300,000 mi. Any way, is there something eles I should look for?

seanR said:
My '00 makes a "popping sound" in the front end when I turn the wheel. I do not have a lift on it yet but a 4.5 RE is on the way. (getting ready for the big party in Oct.) A new track bar comes with the lift so I nrver replaced the stock one. When someone turns the wheel the bracket the track bar mounts to the frame moves. I have never noticed this in my prievious XJ (an 88), although I did replace the track bar 3 times in 300,000 mi. Any way, is there something eles I should look for?

Have someone turn the wheel, while you are out in front watching what makes the pop. I would say a TRE possibly at the frame end of the track bar.

Rgds

if that bracket is moving it sounds like the problem. Tighten all the bolts and tighten the bolts on the trackbar.

Back