• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing coils springs>.....

HaZakated

NAXJA Forum User
I dont want rent a coil compressor. Is there a easy way to replace the coils without a coil compressor....please tell me there is. When I lifted my XJ a few years ago, I about took off a few fingers with that damn coil compressor. To me they are like ticking time bombs waiting to explode.

Off the subject, Im ripping my carpet out tomorrow and adding rhino liner to my set up. Any tips or tricks to this would be great.
thanx!

I hate auto Zone!

Brian

when i changed my springs, i just un bolted the LCA on the body side and fit the spring in. i did one side at a time. worked a lot easier for me and didn't have to rent compressor. it might be a little different with bigger springs though...

Unbolt the top of the shock, the swaybar, and the CAs.

I've done mine before with and without unbolting the CAs, and it is about the same as far as difficulty goes.

Just have a bottle jack on hand to jack one side up, as that make it very easy.

Fergie

ok, that seems easy enough....thanx alot for the advice. I was thinking about letting the front end down, while the body was up on a jack stand, then using a come-a-long to pull the old ones out, then using the come a long to pull the new coil back in. It seems like lowering the axle all the way to the ground would put alot of stress on the opposite side spring.
Brian

Not too sure what you are saying, but that because I am fairly doped up on sudafed right now. Here is how I did it:

Jacked front up by the body, not the axle, and supported with 4 jackstand(cant be too careful).

With the wheels off, I unbolted the shocks, the trackbar, the swaybar, and the spring retainers.

Then, I put a bottle jack under on side of the axle, and jacked it up until the spring fell out. I installed the new spring, and repeated the process on the other side.

Fergie

Fergie said:
Then, I put a bottle jack under on side of the axle, and jacked it up until the spring fell out. I installed the new spring, and repeated the process on the other side.

Fergie
thats a great idea! I never would have thought of it! Thanks

sorry.....so if I jack up the oppisite side of the axle while the body is supported, the spring on the other side will come out? Im confused....Im doped up on 80-90 gear oil.
Brian

HaZakated said:
sorry.....so if I jack up the oppisite side of the axle while the body is supported, the spring on the other side will come out? Im confused....Im doped up on 80-90 gear oil.
Brian
Correct.

It is just like flexing out on the trail. Push one side up, and the other goes down.

Fergie

Great idea fergie....makes life alot easier. If I screw somthing up, I always can resort to my most prcios posessions: Big Mini Sledge Hammer, Sawzaa, Welder, Big azz Pry Bar, and somthing to break for when I smash a finger.

Thanx man.
Brian

i never would have thought of that, thanks for the idea!!!

wow...........welcome noobiez!!! lol

thanks its good to be here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL...

Prep,prep,prep....before rolling laying down the liner. Scrub the entire surface area(learned this the hardway on by brothers YJ) Give the liner something to stick to. After you get all the big stuff off, go over the entire area with some scotch pads to give it a slightly rough surface...then use a tack rag(you can get them at any auto body store) to wipe any final residue. Lastly, don't be stingy with the liner put down more than you think is necessary.....

HaZakated said:
Great idea fergie....makes life alot easier. If I screw somthing up, I always can resort to my most prcios posessions: Big Mini Sledge Hammer, Sawzaa, Welder, Big azz Pry Bar, and somthing to break for when I smash a finger.
And you think this is safer than just using a tool that's designed for the job -- i.e. a coil compressor?

changing my 3" coils were easy, but man did switching them out for my RE 4.5 ZJ springs get tricky. the coils were so long that i couldnt fit them in with just dropping the axle down with the shocks and brakes undone. we had to let the axle fall compeletly till the track bar and steering was binding then jack up the opposite side, and put a jack between the axle and frame to push the side we were working on down. and yes coil spring compressors are satan.

kolby

I have always just used my coil spring/strut compressor. It makes it quite a bit easier than wrestling the axle around with the control arms off. I'll be changing my CA's soon and adding 8" coils while I'm at it...so I'll probably drop one side of the CA's off at a time. I will still use my compressor, if it become necessary, though. They're not THAT bad to use...IF you always adjust them equally as you go.
Aron

the problem i always have with them is getting the compressors off the coil once its seated in there. theyre a PITA and slow. i used an impact on mine one time and its alot easier if you do it in very small incriments alternating side to side with the impact. otherwise it may fly apart and crack some skullz.

Back