• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

True-Trac to Detroit in FRONT

FELIX

Who Knows, Ask Who
All right, I know a few have made the switch to full Detroits, from True-Trac's UP FRONT. What are your impressions on the difference? Handling quirks, breakage, ect. Are you happy w/ the switch? Was it a major difference? What type of wheeling do you do? Tire size?
My set up currently is a Detroit rear, & True-Tac front.
Axels are Dana 30 & 9", 4:11's runing 32's 5speed. Moderate to hard trails, w/ hills & rocks, nothing extreame. Detroit for the front has been in a box for the last 5 months w/ no time to install, due to a move, projects @ work & projects in the new house. Contimplating do I sell it, because I never really needed it, or wait another 6 months by the time I have time to install it :tears: :dunno:

Thanks
Rob

01XJ 8 inch lift, 35 trxus, D-44 rear, full detroit.
Had the True Trac in the Dana 30 front running 4.56's. Ran rocks, moderate obsticles. Never broke an axle, took a lot of cable though. Just couldn't get the limited slip to pull often enough.
Went to a custom D-44 front with full detroit,alloy shafts, 4.88's, GM knuckles and hubs, put 4.88's and superoir alloy shafts in the rear.
DIfference is night and day! Just point and press the tall skinny pedal.
I still run rocks, just tend to point toward the harder stuff now.
With lock out hubs, actually better handling (when I drive it).
I would expect to snap a few shafts on the d-30 if you install it. Just pick up a few spares and be prepared to do some trail/camp site swaps.
A buddy has a YJ D-30 front and lunchbox installed. Has gone through 3 shafts so far this year (3 runs). That's on 35 tires.
We have axle swaps down under 30 minutes. :wierd:

I am fully Detroit locked....although I was open prior to going to the Detroit, I spent some time talking to those who REALY know XJs and decided to lock it up f/r.
When you are not in 4X mode the Detroit does nothing at all. No difference on the street or in the dirt. Manual hubs or not. So if your concern is with street ability...no difference.
But when rolling in the rocks...no comparison...locked is the way to go. I have watched many a limited slip front ended rig get towed up the trail I just drove up. I just don't know of any good reason to have a limited slip on the front if your plan is to go out and do some real wheeling.
Just my own exsperience....
Rick R
:sunshine:

Thanks for the imput guys. I'll probably just put it in & if it doesn't workout, I can always go back :) . Now I just need to get bearings & find the time to put it in.

Thanks again

Rob

Back