• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans lines to the radiator?

howie1975

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 sport with 104,000 miles (stock). I am not sure what trans I have? There are trans lines coming out of the trans on the passenger side. which one is the in-coming and which is the out-going to the radiator? Are there pictures? Because I have a leak on the line. I want to order a new one but I need to know which line is which to order the part. The leak is coming from the rubber hose connecting the hard lines.

I dont remember them exactly, but the line that runs toward the drivers side.. under the front of the oil pan, is the pressure line that goes into- the radiator. the other line is the return line. if that helps at all. should be able to explain how it runs and the parts guy should be able to hook you up.

The top line on the radiator is the return line. It has the AN fitting.
The bottom line is the in (high Pressure) line, it has the quick disconnect fitting (on newer years).

To confirm, disconnect the top line, fit a length of hose over the connections, place hoses into a collection bucket and start the engine for a couple of SECONDS.

Just did this 2 days ago for fitting my trans cooler.

01XJ AW-4

Derik

seems to me that the high pressure line (the one with the strongest looking fitting) is the out going.. and the return line would just be a simple low pressure (IE hose clamp style) fitting...

Just picked up my first xj today..a 100 cnd..88 cherokee chief

...but I have a 51 m-38 4.3L/turbo350/4.27s/dana 30 frt/camaro(way tooo damned fast) ps../etc...

xj's rock..

morgoon said:
seems to me that the high pressure line (the one with the strongest looking fitting) is the out going.. and the return line would just be a simple low pressure (IE hose clamp style) fitting...
The AW-4 (which is what the original poster has) will have pressure from the front connector on the tranny, and return as the rearmost. As you get closer to the radiator, the routing may vary dpending on whether there is an auxiliary tranny cooler in use or not. The tranny lines use one of a few types of quick-disconnect fittings, and not hose clamps.

well thanks Yucca-man for doing the homework..

I am sorry I muddled things up..I am just (pre computer) "Oh the trucks of the 70's...except for the gas mileage"..kind of guy..

but at almost .97 cents a litre here in northern Canada...well time for a wee change in thinking...

I just picked up my first xj..and 88 4.0/auto..for 100.00 cnd btw....and since we have two feet of snow still...I just went by memory of my chev swap in my M-38...guess I will aquaint myself more precisely with the xj before I post again...rather be dead right than DEAD wrong :)

now where the hell are my toque and gloves...

xj's rock

my appologies again..

Morgoon

I just went to the parts store about this, and here's what I did:
NAPA said they had to special order it; around $30.
So, I said screw that. I removed the lines from the radiator end. I cut off the lines closest to both sides of the flexible hose part as I could with a pipe cutter (like what you cut brake lines with). Then I flared the lines with a (brake line?) flaring tool (don't buy the tool from autozone btw - theirs sucks!). Then I got some power steering line hose and clamped it on good past the flares.

It has held up perfectly for around a month now, even through 2 wheeling trips with NO leakage or noticible problems with the lines. This also allowed me to extend my lines further away from my harmonic balancer - it had been rubbing on the lines and ate through one of them.
I think it cost like $7 for hose and 4 clamps.
/my $.02

No worries Morgoon, it just seemed that there was getting to be too much "I think it should be" going on with all the replies. As I have spent more than a few sunny days on the side of the highway replacing those &^$**&)*( things...I am too familiar with what they look like is all.

Back