• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differences between 95 and 98 heads

Tampa_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 98 block but not the head(used in a cj head swap). So I have a spare 95 head that I was just going to have rebuilt and put on. Question is I noticed there are 2 different part #s for both the head gasket set and the head bolts. SO my question is what are the differences between the 2 heads, and which set of gaskets should i use for the combo? Basically I will be using the 98 block and everything else from the head up will be off a 95 HO.

I put on a 95 head on an '03 block. I used the MOPAR performance head gasket. The 96+ blocks have head location dowel pins. They can interfer with the head placement with earlier heads. On mine that was the case. With others it was not. I had to file off some metal. On the head bolts, the newer ones are 12 point. Also two of them have loction pins on their heads to located the new astyle of valve cover gasket. I used the new head bolts on mine, or I should say reused. The engine had only 3K on it. You can only reuse the head bolts once.
Tom
Edit: Also the 95 head has an additional temp sensor on the driver side towards the back. You will need to plug that hole if you use 96+ wiring.

Back