• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

open versus locked question

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
Does locking you 35 make stonger through the axles or weaker? In other words, are you more likely to break something locked versus being open? Does it make a difference?

I take it, locking it makes it weaker in your opinion? Do you have any experience in this matter? What made you come to your conclusion?

pretty much anybody on this board will tell you locking your d35 is like smoking a cigarette while your clothes are soaked in gasoline. its not if.....but when.

Locking any axle will cause more breakage if wheeled. Open diffs power the wheel with the least traction. A locker will cause power to go to both tires, this will cause the tire with the most traction to put more stress on the shafts than the tire with the least traction(like in an open diff).
I'm not sure if what I just said makes sense.

afd516 said:
I take it, locking it makes it weaker in your opinion? Do you have any experience in this matter? What made you come to your conclusion?
I've read enough on this forum and have read enough magz to know that the D35 is as weak as taco bells hot scauce. I never got a chance to lock my 35 (and never would oved)because my pinion bearing let go and instead of wasting time and money on the 35 i got a Dana 44 and are planning on putting a no-slip in it.

junkxj
NAXJA Forum User Join Date: Sep 2004

Re: open versus locked question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Locking any axle will cause more breakage if wheeled. Open diffs power the wheel with the least traction. A locker will cause power to go to both tires, this will cause the tire with the most traction to put more stress on the shafts than the tire with the least traction(like in an open diff).

MAKES PERFECT SENSE RIGHT ON JUNKXJ

robz95xj said:
Don't lock your 35 it's guaranteed breakage!
I fixed the speeling fer yoo :laugh3:

I disagree. I ran a locked 35 for 3 years on moderate trails without a problem. It all comes down to how hard you are on the gas.....some people try to finesse an obstacle where others just use the skinny pedal to get over something. Be careful and carry spare shafts and you will be fine...just realize that if you get stupid, you run the chance of breaking the shaft(s)

An open diff will transfer power to the wheel with the least traction so breakage will be negligible if not non existent. Most people try to learn what it's like to wheel open before they lock an axle...it's a good idea...

All said, I went to an 8.8 because I was afraid of breakage, and needed something else to spend my money on :wierd:

Good luck!

John

The reason I ask is mine xj is locked with 33''s. My buddy has a yj open with 35"s. I have had no problems yet, I reinerate yet! I went through this part of a trail on a steep incline with minimal problems first, nothing broke. He went and blew a spider gear in 3 pieces. He is on 35"s. So while it is apart, should he through a locker in there, replace the spider gears, or weld them together? Ultamatly he is going to through a 44 under there but that will be a while. This is a fix to get him wheelin again. I have had luck with my lockers so far.

jeepinandy said:
junkxj
NAXJA Forum User Join Date: Sep 2004

Re: open versus locked question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAKES PERFECT SENSE RIGHT ON JUNKXJ

Thanks

I do not think he should throw a locker in there. A dana 35 on 35s open is asking for it, and a locker would be a bad idea.A Detroit is stronger than the factory carrier so he would probably not break the carrier,it would break shafts instead. Maybe wheel it open till he can get a beefier rear end. In my opinion.

Last edited:
Hey adf516, What size tires are you planning to run? You might(key word there might)get away with 31's and a very light foot without breakage but anything bigger its garrenteed.

Y'all (I am from texas) gave me some great opinions. I will relay what I got from here and let him make his decision. I will stress to do the 44.

devile said:
What about the D30(front), will it break if locked???
If you gat the shafts with the 297 ujoints you may nat be at such a high risk but than again it all matters on what size tires you run. From what i've read you don't want to run bigger than 33's on a locked 30

The 30 question is one that will get you all kinds of awnsers. I run 35s on the 30 with 297 shafts and only break a shaft when I act dumb. This is with an auto, and I think that makes a little difference. I guess it all comes down to how heavy your right foot is, and the terrain.

robz95xj said:
Hey adf516, What size tires are you planning to run? You might(key word there might)get away with 31's and a very light foot without breakage but anything bigger its garrenteed.
I am running 33' xterains d30 & 35 both locked. I am easy on them but have a good feelin my time is coming! For this reason my 9" rear axle will be finished, with 35 spline molly shafts, spooled with 5.13 gears, next week. And than I have a hp44 on on my garage floor that will get molly shafts, detroit and obviosly 5.13 gears. All this will have 38" tsl's mounted to them. I can not wait.

robz95xj said:
If you gat the shafts with the 297 ujoints you may nat be at such a high risk but than again it all matters on what size tires you run. From what i've read you don't want to run bigger than 33's on a locked 30

Well good, i'm not sure waht u-joints mine is running, (91 XJ) but i wana lock my D30 and i'm only running 235's so they should be alright, eh?

devile said:
Well good, i'm not sure waht u-joints mine is running, (91 XJ) but i wana lock my D30 and i'm only running 235's so they should be alright, eh?
There is only one way to find out. So far mine has been reliable. I run 33"s locked 30 and 35. I have the 260 u-joints also.

Ran a locked 35 for years. Tellico, Big Dogs, and some places here in TX. Never broke an axle. The secert, I ran 31s. Some folks I knew with a locked 35 and 33s broke.

Back