• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Vs Toyota

GudaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is a Jeep forum only but Im lookin for non bias opinions.
Im lookin into getting another 4x4 to replace my dead xj. Im between an 1980's 4Runner with IFS (4 banger or v6 not sure) or an early 90's 4.0l h.o. xj. I've got limited amounts of money to spend but I wanna build a trail worthy rig. My friend has an XJ and we've gotten through tough shit. I really like the xj and I have no doubt of its offroad ability, but i also like the 80s 4runner. Does anyone know anything about the 4runner's off road ability, reliability,etc. How does it compare to the xj(built around the same budget). I just wanna know the pros and cons of each to kinda make up my mind. I've driven a 90's body style 4runner with the v6 and it felt underpowered on the road, while the xj 4.0 has more than enough. so confizzled :p

I used to wheel Toyota, Great vehicles but the used parts in my area are like gold. My money goes alot farher with the XJ. Now gas milage is another story lol

XJ for sure.. you already have some spare parts on the retired one and never underestimate an XJ i pulled out my very stuck as in framed out nephews 3/4 ton chevy yesterday took several hard "YANKS" but got him out anyways. only thing that happened to my XJ was a bent tow hook

GudaXJ said:
How does it compare to an xj tho? Better worse.. same
Powerwise, the XJ. I think the XJ does better dollar for dollar spent and I like the coil front. The XJ definately rides better. You could go to a Toyota site and they'll steer you their way.They're both excellent options, just choose the one you like.

Last edited:
i wheel with alot!! of yota guys and the wheelbase of the runner is almost a bit too long IMO we all are well set up a couple have full widths but they still have trouble on spots with large drops or ledges so in my opinion i'd go with the xj but if you were to get a runner get an 85, 86, 87 they are fuel injected.

If money is a concern at all, you can't beat the bang for your buck of an XJ. The parts are avaliable anywhere and are cheap. Also, you can purchase an XJ for far less than Toyota.

A Toyota will hold it's value better than a Jeep will, so a used one will cost you more. An ok Cherokee can be found for under $1000. You would be hard pressed to finda Toyota for less than $2000-3000 even if it's a POS.

I've watched which vehicles struggle and which do best in Moab and the ultimate wheelbase is somewhere between and XJ's and a Toyota's. Wranglers, CJs, Samurais, etc. are typically too short and full size trucks are often too long.

I just bought an XJ for $400 and could turn it into a very capable jeep with less than $2500 total investment. I used to have an 89 XJ with open diffs, a 7" lift, stock gears, and 33" tires and did many 4+ trails without any problems.

If you want to get serious about building the IFS toyota, you'll end up converting the front end to a solid axle. This costs money. Toys are very capable off road vehicles - I hear people are even putting Toy rear axles in XJ's now - But the XJ will be your best choice if money is an issue at all.

But even if money was not an issue, I'd still recommend the XJ.

GudaXJ said:
I've got limited amounts of money to spend but I wanna build a trail worthy rig.

Trail worthy to me means; Safe, Reliable, and Capable.
So lets look at these points

1. Safe; Both vehicles are as very safe stock so the safety goes up or down depending on what you do to each vehicle.

so we'll call this a draw.

2. Reliable; both vehicles are extremely reliable in stock form. Toyota may have a slight advantage in longevity, but there's the complexity of the IFS system. Complex=more stuff to break/wear out. Plus the CV shafts will not take the same abuse as the solid axle. The solid axle in a XJ is very simple and has been around a long time. and is still around now (Ford Superduty, Dodge HD trucks) In stock form i'd give the advantage to Toyota, But in altered form, i think Simplicity is better and since We are talking about modifing this vehicle, so to me the Solid axle wins

Advantage XJ

3. Capable; on an unlimited budget either will win, but since you have a limited budget we'll talk about the basics

1. Traction adding Diffs
2. Tires
3. Suspension

3.1 Traction adding diffs, cost is about the same for both vehicles for comparable Differentials, however toyota has a drop out Differential which is benificial to those who do not know how to set up gears. there are also more gearing options for Toyota's,

Advantage Toyota

3.2 Tires, Stock tire size Toyota wins, with the same lift say 4" again toyota. both vehicle will handle roughly the same size tire with the same driver Example both will handle 35" with a soft foot, and both can be broken with 31" and a heavy foot.

Advantage Toyota

3.3 Suspension, This is where the xj shines a good 6" lift Lets say Full traction long arm runs about $1600 add $400 for a good shock another $350 for a HD SYE and your at $2350 for a very good Lift kit, good ride quality parts, long travels, good street manners.
Toyota to get the same height you looking at a minimum of a $1000, but to get the Same wheel travel add another Est. $1000 worth of long travel exotic parts then theres the CV shafts to deal with Downey wants about $600 to deal with those. so your at about $2600 and it is still a very complex suspension now with very exotic parts.

Granted this is the Extreme for each vehicle but the difference gets larger the less lift you go.

Back to reliability now with this new modified vehicle. Try this call Downey and ask how available there long travel ball joints are. Find out what vehicle they fit so you can get one on a sunday in your town, your state. imagine driving this toyota with a busted balljoint. Then call Full Traction and ask about ther bushing and heim joints. And if you can't find one? you can drive the XJ with 1 control arm missing be it either upper or lower (not recommended)

So it comes down to this The XJ is a very good platform to build on, so is the Toyota, But as parts get replaced to make this vehicle more capable, which vehicle will have its reliability affected first? I would say the Toyota. But only because of the IFS if this where a solid axle?

Dingo
BTW No i do not Work for or am i paid by Full Traction or Downey
YMMV, I am not responsable for your conclusions or affects of this information, Do not take orally, this is my opinion and i am not responsable for it or anyone elses opinion. May cause Blurry vision, for external use only, Do not take while pregnant, Prices where accurate at time of publishing, or as accurate as possible by someone who does not know prices, Shake well, refrigerate after opening, if not used by 10 mins ago warranty is void. Always wear safety glasses, and most of all have fun.

And i didn't inhale.

Ahhh yes, my two favorite 'wheelers...

Gotta love the mid '80s 4-banger 5-speed Toy 'runner for the dependability. Regular preventative maintenance and a new timing set with STEEL guides will keep ya' goin' forever, although the valve guide seals do tend to let a little oil in after a few serious miles.

I prefer to drive Cherokees for the TORQUE... ;^]

Hey thanks for the info dingo.
I've heard from a few people toyotas are rock solid and are very reliable, while I've heard a mix of reliable and unreliable from different people on xjs. On a recent wheelin trip both my friends jeeps had problems from their transfercase/transmission. For as long as I had my xj it was pretty good, but I didnt have the chance to wheel it. Opinions on xj reliability?

MInes got 192,000 on it its been places no sain person should bring an xj and still smiles.Also almost 2 years ago I drove 20 miles home with a broken t-stat,waterpump and the temp gauge pinned all the way to the right and she lived to talk about it.

If you are into serious wheeling, then the xj will be the cheapest to build. I like yotas, and they last for ever. As far as building, a SAS on the toy costs a good amount of money if you cant do it your self, and to get the 4 banger/manule trans to crawl like a 4.0/auto then you may have to do transfer case gears. I know this has been said before, so maybe it comes down to personal prefrence. I don't think you can go wrong with one or the other.

ive had both toyotas and XJ's...id have to give the upper hand to the XJ

here is why:

i know 4.0's will run as long or longer than any toyota motor will. its very common to see 200,000+ on stock 4.0's without rebuilds.

the AW-4 automatic is basically indestructible

the 231 is a solid t case, simple, and plentiful if anything should fail.

it doesnt get any more simple or reliable than solid axles, theyre lower maintenence and less things to go wrong.

theres more room in an xj versus a toyota pickup cab.

you can fold the back seat down and sleep in the back of your XJ protected from the elements.

and this is an XJ board so expect some of the info to be a little biased toward the cherokee.

GudaXJ said:
Hey thanks for the info dingo.
No Problem I'll just ruin my "I Hate Toyotas" rep if any friends get ahold of this. :gag:

GudaXJ said:
Opinions on xj reliability?
I have 250K on my 4.0 and run it all the way to readline alot. No problem reallly Same with the AW4, The rest of the drivetrain has been swapped and has alot less miles

Dingo

If anyone still cares at all, I've driven a 93' XJ sport for awhile now, and have driven an 87' 4runner SR5 with the 22R quite alot also. In stock form, which both of them are, i'd actually have to go with the toyota. It is slow, but its built better, has zero problems and has done some things i'm still amazed at. The jeep is good too, and I drive it because it was cheaper. If anyone has any doubt about a toyota's rediculous reliability and strength watch Top Gear's episode where they try to destroy a 85' or so hi-lux (uk version of the pickup). It's pretty impressive. I have some pretty serious doubts about the ability of my jeep to take the same levels of abuse. The 4.0 is indestructible i know, but the rest of the drivetrain isn't as solid as the toyota's, unless you can find a jeep with the Dana 44. But then you'd probably have the 2.8 v6, which is a pile of crap. Anyway, both have a ton of aftermarket options, but I think the toyota is built better and a better investment.

No Toyota will out last a non-lemon Cherokee, period. They both will go as long as anyone wants to drive them if taken care of. The Jeep is far lighter, smaller, more maneuvarable, better looking, faster, more refined, much better handling, and the list goes on. An 80's Toyota, besides being the ugliest, slowest, least nimble, and poorest riding vehicle on the road, is not as capable off road as a Cherokee, costs alot more, uses more fuel with much less power, and doesn't last longer. I could go on, but I'll stop now.

the xj has its place as does the toyota. if you are looking at cost effectiveness and you have skills to build a serious off road vehicle i think i would go with the toy. the rear axle can handle 38+ tires in stock form, you never have to worry about the topless issue bc 4 runners have hardtops that comeoff. the 4runners have a frame which helps on many levels the 22r motor is weaker than the 4.0, but how many stacked trannis and or t/c's can you get on a xj though? you can gear a yota to run 40 inch tires and still get decent milage and toyota drive train parts last alot longer than jeep parts do. solid axle toys have one weak link and that is the birfeilds and with some fabing you can weld a ring to then to aleiviate some of those problems. in fact on one of my jeeps i am looking into swapping toy axles bc they can be found with 4.56 gears stock which saves the cost of regearing

Back