• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it street legal to drive without the back hatch on?

Probly not seeming that you will be allowing exhaust fumes inside your rig.

A bloke down here in Orlando runs his rig without doors or a back hatch. He fabbed a tire carrier back there instead, but it's visibly wide open. He does have a cage though. Popo don't seem to give him much trouble about it, and it's been like that for a while. I've found that (least when I took my doors off), it's most fun to just do it and see what they say. But hey, that's just me.

:dunno: ??

why??:huh:
castleman123 said:
I am thinking about takinging my back hatch off, after i got another xj, and i was wondering if that would be street legal?

at first i was just gonna take off my two front doors, and then i was wanting to take off the two back doors, and then i thought hmmm.... might as well take the hatch off to. and i was gonna spray the floor with some kind of liner, and thats as far ahead as i have thought so far.

I have an xj right now, but its kinda beat up, no gauges work, the drivers side door has to be slamed a bunch of times to be closed, and alot of other stuff is wrong with it. So i was gonna buy another one and use it for more daily driving, but i will also wanna drive this one on the streets to.

i dont see the cops giving you too much trouble

i think it would cause alot more flex in the upper half of your XJ and would probably make a rollover much more devastaing. probably best to do this after a full cage is inplace

Back when my Grand wagoneer was on the road i drove It with the rear window down after a wheelin trip and trust me I was feelin' a little funny when I got home.

LouisianaZJ said:
ii think it would cause alot more flex in the upper half of your XJ and would probably make a rollover much more devastaing. probably best to do this after a full cage is inplace

ditto...

cuz that fiberglass hatch is what keeps your unibody from folding like a taco...

The difference is whether or not you also take the doors off. With the doors on and the hatch off, at highway speeds, you have a low pressure area at the rear that will suck up the exhaust fumes and allow them to enter the passenger compartment. With the doors off, the low pressure area no longer exists, so the exhaust fumes shouldn't be a problem. At trail speeds, it could be a potential problem either way.

Back