• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch problems

cdnxj

NAXJA Forum User
Need some quick info here if possible. The victim is a 91 2 dr 4.0, AX-15 with 244,000 Kms on the dial.

Just been driving for about an hour at about 110 Km/hr (almost 70 mph) over some rolling terrain. Pulled into the local Tim Horton's Drive Thru as I was shifting in first to pull thru the clutch pedal went to the floor, didn't rebound. I can't get it into gear. I heard/felt a faint pop when I put the clutch in. I checked the fluids and had a look underneath. Everything "looks" ok...

This has probably been covered but I'm not on my pc, and I'm just waiting for the tow truck to arrive. Don't know alot about my Jeep's clutch, but I have had no indication of anything going wrong prior to this. Thanks in advance.

Marty

'91 2 dr, 4.0 5 spd... No mods (til I find a 4 dr)

Same thing happened to me, twice -- once in an MJ, once in the trusty old XJ. The MJ was the slave cylinder -- which on your 91 is the same as my 88, internal to the bell housing and part of the clutch release bearing assembly.

The XJ was easier -- it was the hose that connects the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. It's a trifle on the costly side, but no more so than the alave cylinder and a lot easier to replace.

Thanks Eagle; at least now I know where to look. I don't have access to alot of tools right now... but maybe I can sort something out.

Cheers!

Marty

'91 2 dr, 4.0 5 spd... No mods (til I find a 4 dr)

Update: Clutch problems

First chance I've had to get on a pc... Thanks to Eagle for throwing in his diagnosis. However the problem was simply the clutch pedal. The connection at the top of the pedal somehow corroded enough to break off. So I guess it's one more thing to check on a regular basis. FYI

Cheers!

Marty

'91 2 dr, 4.0 5 spd... No mods (til I find a 4 dr) [at these gas prices?!]

Re: Update: Clutch problems

cdnxj said:
First chance I've had to get on a pc... Thanks to Eagle for throwing in his diagnosis. However the problem was simply the clutch pedal. The connection at the top of the pedal somehow corroded enough to break off. So I guess it's one more thing to check on a regular basis. FYI

Cheers!

Marty

'91 2 dr, 4.0 5 spd... No mods (til I find a 4 dr) [at these gas prices?!]

same thing happened to me. took it apart and welded it back up.

I just picked up an '89 XJ with a "bad clutch master cylinder" for $300.. The truck is in exceptional condition otherwise... completely rust free with a mint interior.

So, I put in a new master cylinder today.. went to go hook it up and found that one side of the clutch pedal arm was broken off up at the top where it is welded to the pivot.. the arm is bent away from the firewall, which is why the clutch didnt work. :D

So, now I gotta pull it apart and reweld it. At least it looks like this has happened to others and I can rest easy knowing the slave cylinder in the bellhousing is probably ok.. hehe

Back