• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do i change the worm

Mr.OverKill

NAXJA Forum User
the rear drivers side window does not work any more, it is an 85 lorado with power windows, it's motor works but the worm drive is busted, i found part of it in the door, and i need some help , or guidance if you will, in the removal and replacement of the worm gear ( for lack of a better word )

thanks in advance
Troy

The whole window reg needs to be replaced. Go to the stealership and buy a new one. $85-90, IIRC, comes with the gear, track and motor in one cool package, ready to bolt in.

HTH

bit of a thread hi-jack here but I've been wondering for awhile if you can use a rear door regulator in the front and vice versa. The drive on the front drivers door of our '89 is stripped at the very bottom and I was thinking of swapping it for one of the rears and then just blocking the rear so it won't go down that far. I figure since most rear windows don't go down all the way anyway who would even guess anything was wrong.

Usually that part never wears out! I have heard t hundreds of times from different guys. It usually an easy fix, the worm gets filled with crap and binds up on the gear causing it to move slowly or not at all.

The fix is to use a tooth brush and wd40. spray the worm and then clean with teh toothbrush or rag. put a rag in the bottom of the door to catch the wd40.

Then relube with SPRAY silicone lube, it will work perfectly.

I ahve done this fix for many guys who where told by the stealership they needed replaced.

I have yet to replace one that did not work when I got hold of it

tchase said:
bit of a thread hi-jack here but I've been wondering for awhile if you can use a rear door regulator in the front and vice versa. The drive on the front drivers door of our '89 is stripped at the very bottom and I was thinking of swapping it for one of the rears and then just blocking the rear so it won't go down that far. I figure since most rear windows don't go down all the way anyway who would even guess anything was wrong.

NO different lengths an different bracketry. but I do have a couple sitting around from an 89 for like 40.00 shipped, clean nice perfect condition AZ units. LOL

Guys, on the older XJs the "worm" is available separate from the motor. On the newer ones it is all one piece (as I just found out, to my dismay). I don't think the worm on the old ones can be repaired, because I think it's plastic and strips, but you can buy either a regulator and track without the motor, or (I think) just the plastic worm and repair the assembly).

Did this on my 89,mine was stripped out.... it's just as easy to swap in a newer motor assembly from a donor rig. I had to change the wiring connector, but this is simple. I think I paid about $40 for a motor assembly from a 96 at the local salvage yard.

if youre going to replace either the regulator or the motor, its a good idea to do both in one shot..... most dealerships will sell the set cheaper then either individual part. and the whole thing is usually pretty cheap from a junkyard, or ebay....or the guy that has one for sell near the top of the page

Back