• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition key refuses to turn

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I've got an 88 Comanche, and my ignition key has two positions. "ON" and "Crank" I can't turn it to the off position or the ACC position.

It's a manual, and the lil lever on the column seems to be working ok, except for that pesky key not moving.

Ah, but then, it would still have the off position if that were the case, wouldnt' it?

Anyway, has anyone had this problem before, and what's the fix (short of swapping columns).

Check the ignition switch. Its located further down the the sterring column toward the fire wall. You will see a rod that runs from the ignition key to the ignition switch. When the springs in the switch go bad it will cause this type of problem. You cab get a new one from the auto parts store. It will take maybe an hour to replace it.

If you remove it, you will see how it works and it will be obvious if it is broke. I would suggest going to the parst store first and picking up a new one. Then you will see how its supposed to work. And if thats not the problem you can just return it.

Well it wasn't the electrical switch. I pulled that, and it has all functions.

Additionally, when I turn the key with the switch out, it still doesn't move. And, if I try to force it by pushing the rod, while depressing the thumb release on the column, it still doesn't turn.

Is the next step removal of the steering wheel and dissasembly of the column, or is there a way to pull the ignition cylinder without having to go get a steering wheel puller?

Is the key shot ? 88's pretty old and has had alot of use. When I got rid errrr sold my 82 S10 the ignition would turn w/o a key in it.... thinking about it so did the 81 eldorado my son had..

w_howey just went thru this a couple of weeks ago, 'cept his key was stuck and he couldn't turn it to the "on" position to pull the cylinder (maybe he'll chime in....). You have to pull the wheel to remove/replace the ign cylinder, because it's held into the column by a set screw that you access from under the lockplate. You'll need a steering wheel puller, and a lockplate removal tool (both about 10 bucks each, but you may be able to rent them also). The directions sheet included in the new cylinder is actually pretty good, just follow the steps and it's a simple job.
I never knew my MJ had an ACC position :dunno: until the cylinder got in the condition yours is in, and I replaced it.
HTH,
Jeff

I have had this same problem in my 98. I put the key in and I can't get it to move any direction. I usually just jiggle it around for a while (that sounds kind of fun!) and it eventually turns. I need to get it fixed so it doesn't stick out in the middle of nowhere!

japril said:
I have had this same problem in my 98. I put the key in and I can't get it to move any direction. I usually just jiggle it around for a while (that sounds kind of fun!) and it eventually turns. I need to get it fixed so it doesn't stick out in the middle of nowhere!

Next time it happens jiggle your steering wheel, sometimes the column lock binds it up...

I pulled the column with a 'steering wheel / balancer puller tool' I rented from autozone. It was like $9 to rent. It's actually pretty easy to pull and reassemble the column - just watch out for things under pressure from springs! I think the wheel itself and the horn button are under a good deal of pressure - I ended up losing a little spring part that activates the horn.

The ignition switch is simple to remove/replace once the column's disassembled.

What does the ignition cylinder run?

does it come with new keys?

What was the first year in the XJ/MJ line that they went to the newer, dual sided key? My 88 doesn't have it.

IIRC, my 90 YJ didn't have it either, but my 94 YJ does. So does my CJ with the 92 YJ steering column.

Would that make it 91?

I'm just trying to figure out what to ask for, as I'd like to change to that style of key.

Cylinder is about $12 at any local parts place, and comes with new key. I'da thunk the key change would have been when the column switched from the GM to Chryco style, circa 95 or so (but that's a swag....) I don't think you could install the 2 sided key cylinder into your old column, you'd have to replace the whole thing, or at least the collar part that the cylinder is housed in. Don't know if they are compatible between columns tho.
Jeff

Well, the parts store only had the older style cylinder.

14 bucks.

I bought that, and a steering wheel puller, Had the compressor thing for the lock ring behind the wheel. 20 min later, i'm done, and the key turns just fine.

Thanks for the help.

Back