• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over heating

Only In A Jeep XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Iv'e got an 87 4.0 auto 4wd and it only over heats when the a/c is on any ideas. got a new pump and t stat.

When its runnin and the ac is on see if your electric fan is working if isnt that could be the problem

I had an 89 with a over heating problem when I was on the trail. I did the water pump and t-stat thing but what ended up working the best for me was installing an electric fan and cutting some vents into my hood

If you still have the original fan clutch, that's probably a good place to start. I'd be surprised if you had one that lasted that many years.

I had the same problem with overheating only with A/C.

Fans were working ok.

Check your radiator closely for many missing/broken/rusty fins.

My radiator was very rusty with many missing fins. I replaced it and now it runs very cool all the time even with A/C on.

Good luck

I'm plaining on changing the radiator any way to the open system and get rid of the closed on but was hoping i could go just a bit farther but guess it's time to do it anyway

The conversion from closed to open is not any major improvement, the closed system works fine as long as the components are good. Alot of new vehicles are running closed systems now so there are alot more options for pressure bottles other than the Jeep factory OEM one. Every time I go into my friends shop I get surpised at how many are now closed systems.

Yea but the only diference in price is changeing the heater valve which aint that much more plus i've never been a fan of gm's closed system.

If your gonna go the radiator route then check out these:

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/ Go to the engine section of the products.

virtually EVERYONE loves them and I gotta say the price is right! He has been on vacation but will be back tomorrow.

I am gonna save up the scratch and get one for mine and I don't even need one! I like the 3 row.

JC95:wave:

Jeeper Eric said:
Check your radiator closely for many missing/broken/rusty fins.My radiator was very rusty with many missing fins. I replaced it and now it runs very cool all the time even with A/C on.
Good luck

X2-Last september I pulled my radiator to clean all the mud and debris in it when i noticed that 45% of my fins were damaged or rotted so the following payday I picked up a new one and shes been running purfect since.

Well after alot of checking and head ackes it turned out to be the coolent/radiator cap.

Back