• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strengthen Rear Bumper

Craig Wood

NAXJA Member #275
I have a 98XJ with the original Durango rear bumper and I would like to strengthen the connection to the body. As I drive on the freeway the swing arm and bumper starts flexing. I was wondering if anyone had similar problems and what corrective measures were done if any? Thanks for the help!

Craig

I'm confused because you say "original Durango " rear bumper, but I am only aware of Durango 4X4 very beefy aftermarket rear bumper wich should be bolted to the 8 factory bumper mounts and uses support straps to the factory reciever mounts on the frame rail. please specify, is this your bumper?
http://www.durango4x4.com/xjrear.htm

The original bumper had the rear quarter panels weld rather than the current model which uses bolts. Not much difference, but in I my option the original was much stronger. The only negative would be once bent you might have to replace the entire bumper. Regarding the attachment points, yes there are 8. The problem I am having is that when I driving at highway speed the bumper flexes and as a result caused the bumper attachment to the body to start to separate. A friend welded the unit back, but I thought that this should be fixed or I should come up with a new plan. As result I was wondering if I could install a sub frame and attach it the bumper taking the stress off the body.

No flex

You shouldn't be experiencing flex at the mounts. I don't know if you have a warranty with that bumper but would check with Durango to see what they can do for you. If they changed the design it was probably for that reason. The durango is a pretty stout bumper and it shouldn't need additional bracing.

Back