• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Checking Coolant

K2XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Simply question...on the coolant bottle on my 95, there is the full mark and the add mark...when does this measurement read true, when the engine is warm or cold.

When the engine is cold, the coolant is at the 'add' mark...should i add some or check when the engine is warm??

Cheers

K2XJ said:
Simply question...on the coolant bottle on my 95, there is the full mark and the add mark...when does this measurement read true, when the engine is warm or cold.

When the engine is cold, the coolant is at the 'add' mark...should i add some or check when the engine is warm??

Cheers

You sure it's 'add' and 'full' I think it should say 'cold' 'hot'. Either way I would check it cold, you should have about 2-3" in there. When the coolant gets hot it expands in the system and the result is the pressure cap lifts up and puts the expanded fluid into the overlfow. When you shut it off the coolant starts to contract and pulls fluid from the overflow back into the cooling system then as pressure goes away the presure cap goes back down and seals.

My 99 says "add" and "full"

I thought that was a bit odd at first, but thats what it says. Most that i've seen say "hot" and "cold"

99XJSPORT06 said:
My 99 says "add" and "full"

I thought that was a bit odd at first, but thats what it says. Most that i've seen say "hot" and "cold"

Yes, I went out and looked, darn. For rule of thumb I just put enough mixed coolant to get it between the two marks. Over 12 months it all evens out anyway.

Back