• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix check engine light

seymouj

NAXLA Member #1223
I failed smog check here in CA for "MIL does not illuminate during key-on/engine-off test."

If I understand correctly they are saying my check engine light should have come on like it does in other cars I own. The question I have is whether or not that is the case with my 87 4.0 auto etc. My brother has the same year and his doesn't come on either. I tried calling the local dealer and the guy I talked to didn't seem to have a clue. I just want to be sure before I take it back in.

If it should come on and they are right, any hints on fixing it would be appreciated.

seymouj said:
I failed smog check here in CA for "MIL does not illuminate during key-on/engine-off test."

If I understand correctly they are saying my check engine light should have come on like it does in other cars I own. The question I have is whether or not that is the case with my 87 4.0 auto etc. My brother has the same year and his doesn't come on either. I tried calling the local dealer and the guy I talked to didn't seem to have a clue. I just want to be sure before I take it back in.

If it should come on and they are right, any hints on fixing it would be appreciated.

I'm 99% certain Renix doesn't have a Check Engine lamp. I don't have one on my '89 and the only lamp that ever illuminates is the seat belt. When I was Smogging in CA it was never a problem. You may need to convince the inspection station about this design which was EPA approved at the time of manufacture. Please keep us posted about your ordeal because I would like to know the outcome.

My 87 electrical manual does reference a check engine light but not in any schematic, only in a picture of the instrument cluster rear view. Maybe it does have one but it just does not come on with key-on/engine-off?

At least for 49 states Digger is correct. The Renix system does not have a Check Engine light. It has a "Maintenance Required" light, which is actuated by a simple timer that trips it after approximately 80,000 miles (I don't remember how many hours of operation they figure is equal to 80,000 miles) as a reminder to replace the oxygen sensor. That's ALL it has.

California vehicles may be different.

Back