• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque specs dana 30

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
I obtained an axle seal leak recently and finally got tired of it dripping on my drive way. I have the carrier out and the new seal in. I am ready to torque the carrier cap bolts down. Does anybody know the approx. torque specs for those bolts. Thanks for your info in advance. I also just relized that this should be in the oem forum. OOps!

Last edited:
explorer said:
45 ft/lbs.
Nope, it is 60 ft/lbs. I just finished my gear job today...the manual said 60 ft/lbs :wave:
brett

fine dont believe me.....google search!

bretto, I guess you went and edited you post as I was adding mine. I loaned mine to a buddy and have not got it back yet. I don't guess you can argue with the manuel. Or can you? I know I bitch at mine alot!!! lol

bretto said:
Nope, it is 60 ft/lbs. I just finished my gear job today...the manual said 60 ft/lbs :wave:
brett

45ft/lbs in a factory 97TJ manual. They certainly could have different specws listed for different years/models even though they all use similar hsg. and the same bolts. I have seen the spec listed 45-60 in some publications. From experience, if you want to torque them to 60, make sure your torque wrench is calibrated accurately and go slow. I have seen several carrier bolts break or stretch when torqued to 60. If when your torquing them they seen to build torque and then taper off with you still turning them, stop and go get new bolts.

Like I said, I've seen it listed anywhere from 45-60. Is that the manual you were you referring to? If you got to 60, great. How many setups is that for you?
I'm just trying to give some help from my experience. Start at 45, if the bolts feel like they're building torque quickly, then you can keep going. If they start to feel soft, it because they're stretching, and at that point you might as well replace them.

I did not mean to start somthing here. I went from 30ft/lbs and worked my way up to 60, no problems. I just assume that 60 is better I don't know why but I do. Nothing is binding up so I feel good about it. Thanks for your input guys.

Back