• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar question.

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Fought with the torx holding that SOB on there. That tab in the back with the nut on it, safe to reuse ? or replace whenver you replace the track bar ? special order item or will parts stores have them.
NO TORX going back on there, sons headed out with a pocket full of bolts to go match them up to normal stuff...that you can get a wrench around.
There sure is a difference in torx sockets though, the ones he bought at the auto parts place broke really easy. The one I got from Matco didn't... :)

Unfortunately, D/C has also discontinued that tab/nut assembly. Reuse what you got.

I upgraded to a M12 when I put in ORGS trac-bar and was able to fit the box end wrench in there. The tab isn't neccessary, just easier.

I replaced the bolt with a dealer unit but matched to a regular nut on the back side because I cross threaded the tab unit on the original set. A box end fits in there just perfect but I sort of wish I could have found a tabbed nut.

ChiXJeff said:
Unfortunately, D/C has also discontinued that tab/nut assembly. Reuse what you got.
No they haven't. They just think they have.

When my parts guy looked it up for my 88 it came up as superceded, to the same nut and bolt as used for the upper control arms. When he looked it up for my 2000, it gave a vaild part number and we ordered that. Same thing.

DCX strikes again.

The 1/2" Milwalkee drill and a good bit are your best friend when dealing with torx. Two out two to go and the cage can go back in.

Eagle said:
No they haven't. They just think they have.

When my parts guy looked it up for my 88 it came up as superceded, to the same nut and bolt as used for the upper control arms. When he looked it up for my 2000, it gave a vaild part number and we ordered that. Same thing.

DCX strikes again.

*REALLY*?!!!!

Have to have a bit of a chat with my local parts pusher.

Speaking of track bars, I think I'm headed for another replacement. The bar on there now has about 40k miles on it, and it's just starting to shudder when I hit diagonal bumps on the Interstate (many of the bridges are frost- heaved up). This is the third one on the car, and it was real sweet when new. I believe it is a TRW, which I got at Advance Auto. Has anyone had good luck with other brands, including factory, and just how long should I expect one to last? The original had over 80k on it, and the second one 30k+ and it was toast. Admittedly, the Interstates in PA suck,but I gotta get to work. TIA.

It may not be your trackbar at fault. Check the tie rod ends on the draglink and tierod as well. Slim chance of ball joints going out as well.

My original trackbar went over 140k and was just fine. And over a year at a 3" lift.

I was kinda hoping that it is the track bar, as it's one of the easier items to replace. I put a new damper on it, and it was real nice, but I got stuck in that freak snowstorm that hit PA last week- over six hours on I 81 in one spot, and when things got rolling again, top speed was about twenty MPH due to the poor condition of the road surface- bumpy and rutted from all the cars and trucks sitting and idling for six hours, creating ice under the vehicles, and preventing the plows from doing their job. Anyway, it hasn't been the same since then, and a loose tie rod end or two would make sense (especially at 170k) Thanks.

if you folks keep replacing the trackbar, I highly suggest Kevin's setup. That, or the RE part, with a JJ at the frame end <yes, you'll have to get the different frame bracket, or modify what you have, to work>.

It made a hell of a difference on my Jeep when I got rid of the TRE.

Back