• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Cherokee Radiator

Just checked our '89 and it has plastic side tanks. Some more specific info on your rig would be helpful as the 4 cyl rad is completely different (and has metal tanks). As for removal, if it's a 6 cyl, it's a bit easier if you don't have A/C but pretty easy regardless. The entire top section of the rad support comes out (three bolts at each end plus several torx screws along the front) allowing the rad to be pulled straight up and out. This is after removal of the electric fan (if equipped), mechanical fan shroud, and auto trans cooler lines (if you have an auto this may be the hardest part). Your '89 would have the infamous "closed" cooling system (no rad cap) which can be difficult to get all the air out of after the change. Many people on here would recommend swapping to the later "open" system when you make the change. Try searching "closed cooling system" for info on the swap and tips on getting the air out if you keep the closed system. As for new or re-man I'd say it's personal preference, a re-cored unit will save you $$$ and I've had good luck with them in other vehicles but some people have had problems.

If you have a leaky radiator, it's very easy to remove and re-install. Just do it yourself and save some $$$. Take it to your local radiator shop and see what would be involved in fixing it and how much it would cost.
I just poked a hole in mine the other day and it only cost $35 to fix. As i do not have any cooling issues, I cannot justify the expense of an upgrade. But that's just me.

Back