• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag Disabling

planefixer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a rather elementary question.Can I disable the airbags in my '97 by simply removing the fuses???This is the first airbag equipped vehicle I've owned and dont know jack about the system.I did search but didn't see anything specifically addressing the fuses.Any help would be appreciated.

note:I have already discussed disabling the airbags with my insurance company, etc.

Jeff

Jeff, why on earth do you want to disable the system? It won't go off unless you need it to.

If you're dead set on doing this, pulling the fuse that runs the SRS module should do it, or you could just unplug the airbag connector and wrap the end with tape. No matter what you do, the airbag light will come on- time for some electrical tape on the cluster :D

But tell me again why?

Jon

planefixer said:
I have a rather elementary question.Can I disable the airbags in my '97 by simply removing the fuses???This is the first airbag equipped vehicle I've owned and dont know jack about the system.I did search but didn't see anything specifically addressing the fuses.Any help would be appreciated.

note:I have already discussed disabling the airbags with my insurance company, etc.

Jeff

Any particular reason why you want to disable it? It's disabled when you're going under 30mph (or somewhere around there) anyways.

I'm thinking about trying to adapt my Grant steering wheel.Also,when we get my cage in I'm going to 4 point harnesses for extra restraint.Remi addressed one of my other concerns-I wasn't aware that it was disabled at low speed.I was worried I'd be out wheeling,drop off a waterfall or ledge and land hard enough to set the thing off.Sounds like thats not an issue now.
Jon if this sounds like a bad idea to you then I trust your judgment.Upon further review I'll probably just leave it alone.
Thanks,Jeff

Kejtar said:
Any particular reason why you want to disable it? It's disabled when you're going under 30mph (or somewhere around there) anyways.

I take exception to this. The airbag is deployed via an accelerometer as part of the Airbag Control Module ACM (in the 01) located on the transmision hump under the center console. The accelerometer can and will activate the airbag system if the G-forces are large enough. What it will not do is activate for lateral G-forces.

But I do agree with Kejtar, Why?
I use master craft seats and 4 points as well, and I'm quite happy to leave the air bag system on.

The manual says to "disconnect the battery" to disable the system.
IMHO: That will ALSO keep you from experiencing the occasion of needing air bags at all (No start, no run, no crash!)

There are companies, at least there is one around here that specializes in making the airbag swithable through the use of a keyed system. It cost about $300 to have done. People apparently use this service who have small children that have to ride in the front seat.

yardape said:
There are companies, at least there is one around here that specializes in making the airbag swithable through the use of a keyed system. It cost about $300 to have done. People apparently use this service who have small children that have to ride in the front seat.
Yeah but if you check with them I believe that they will do that only to the passenger side airbag and not drivers side.

That is correct. Like I said its to protect small children in the passenger seat

Back