• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing side mirror...

Camshaft

NAXJA Forum User
The glass recently popped out of my passenger side mirror. Because there is a scuff on the mirror body i'm going to replace the entire thing. I have power mirrors. If I happen to find a non-power mirror, will it still work?

Yes, it will work.

You can buy just the glass. I got one a couple of years ago from an auto glass store. I think it was made by Kool-Vue, but I'm not certain. Cost me all of nine bucks.

I have never found a non-power mirror for the 97+ but I know they made them. I've read that the non-power versions don't have replaceable glass only the power mirror do. (no first hand experience on these though)
I've done many glass replacements on 97+ power mirrors. I've found a total of 5 heated mirrors with the glass intact but with broken housing. I got 'em for $5 a piece. :sunshine:
Pop the heated glass out (or non-heated) and replace it into your existing housings then splice the 2 heater wires in and your set.
I did all 4 of my mirrors this way and sold the last one on ebay for $75.

dsc04313.jpg

The nice thing is, these bolt up on pre97 XJ too.
I might have my old glass laying around in a box somewhere but like Eagle said, for $9 new you can't go wrong.

Use a heat gun to help with the removal of the old glass. The glue will release much easier when hot.
You can pry the mirror out of it's plastic mounting plate OR remove the whole base plate with the mirror still in it from the housing. The plastic mirror base plate will need to be pry'd up from the bottom to release from the mounting tabs in the main housing.

its really easy to do, redi-cut is a major manufacturer its a simple process (i worked in auto glass for way too long) pry the broken glass out with a scraper, or screwdriver, then clean the base plate with glass cleaner and just be sure its a good contact area. then with the new mirror there should be some double sided tape, just tape it on and youre done..... adhesives work better then tape, but either will hold

I don't need to pry it out, it literally just popped out in one peice. If the collision with the ground hadn't taken a chip out of the side, I could glue it back in. It was pretty interesting to say the least. I should take a picture. It's pretty funny now that I think about it.

Back