• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New valve cover questions?

saltilloxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 4.0 I am getting blow by and now she has a really low idle for some reason. I have searched a ton on this subject all night and so now I have a question. Will a newer HO valve cover fit my non HO engine? Will replacing this and all the CCV lines and cleaning everything also fix my very low idle? Sometimes it will stall now at idle with the AC on.

If you have excessive pressure in there it can cause all sorts of mischeif. You don't need a new valve cover just pull and clean the old one. Repair or replacment of the hoses is purley personal, whats your time worth cleaning the hoses vs just putting new clean ones on. They sell a kit for this but I'm not sure if there is a new ccv in it or not..

I bought mine from the dealer witht he hoses and the ccv but the rubber grommet was extra for $30.00 total and it was worth every penny because when I tried to pull out the ccv it broke! That is a pretty common occurance I hear.

I would also buy the front grommet and plastic piece if you have one on your XJ.

JC95

You can also get alot of those rubber grommet connectors and fittings in that "Help" section of your local autoparts store. Thats where got my rubber CCV inlet elbow for my '90.

I just posted about buying all the CCV plumbing for an '89 from Kragen. It was sitting on a shelf, made in China, cost about $45 for EVERYTHING including orfice rubber. Holding up for a couple years so far, no problems. Finding it on the shelf was just dumb luck but I bet they can get it if you figure out what book it's in.

You can use a newer manifold on the RENIX motor. I had a '95 on mine. The 90 degree elbows are suppose to help control the oil better. I also did the MADXJ update on the CCV tube. You will have to cut the newer tube into two or three pieces. I have pics if you e-mail me. Also, get a good seal on the valve cover. I did these mods and ran it for two months. No oil in the air filter. The engine had at least 140K on it.
Tom

I used a 2001 wrangler valve cover with the good rubber gasket. I have zero oil escaping now. It's wonderful and it fits my 1988 perfectly. Good luck, its well worth it.

Back